What is my Cats coat pattern/ breed?

Mycatsaresocute

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I was just wondering what others thought may be my cats coat pattern and breed, I know a majority of cats are the domestic short/long but I have been suspecting she may have some Maine coon in her due to her being almost the exact same age of my other cat (they are both 7 months old) and being significantly larger.(photo for reference below) Her fur pattern also stumps me I think it may be torti and tabby bc she has very faint stripes but she also has white on her so that throws me off. But I don’t know much about cat coat genetics so I wanted to get the opinions of others thanks! Also the first image I turned the exposure up because the camera doesn’t really capture how her fur looks in real life.

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
She's a domestic longhair. I don't see any features that are unique to Maine Coons. Long hair and large size occur frequently in the general cat population, without being any specific breed. My rescue cats range from 6 lbs to 15 lbs, and they are all considered normal size.
Her color/pattern is dilute (blue/cream) tortoiseshell.

They're both beautiful babies. What are their names?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know about the Maine Coon part either, but I would call her a long haired dilute torbie (tortie and tabby). The tabby part is where the white coloring can come into play, as torties only have 2 colors. And, I think I can decipher the traditional "M" forehead marking, also associated with tabbies.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes I too think she is a torbie. A indicium is her pattern aside of apparentlyt a tortie, is quite bewildering. And thus prob a torbie.

Im not sure she has true white spots.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your girl is a stunner in several differnent aspect, including an unusual pattern and coloring... As said above, surely a diluted tortie + tabby, ie a torbie.

IF she has any big breed Ancestry, so its prob not MCO but sooner the Norwegian, with her fine triangular face, a foxy face...

Another possibility which dawns on me at this moment, is Turkish Angora... The elegant, rather slender body shape....
Some Angoras may become quite big.
And nowadays they modified their standard. T.A. are renown for being white longhairs, but nowadays are other colors allowed too.

Yeah, Turkish Angora look alike will be may proposal...

T.A. arent common, but not that unique it makes it impossible you got a descendant.

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm also casting my vote on dilute tortie domestic longhair. Not sure whether or not she's solid or a torbie though, as from what I can see on the photos all the striping looks like it's on her red areas (red cats and red areas on torties always display tabby patterns). To me the grey areas look solid. I'm not sure if I see any true white spotting on her or whether the pale areas are just long hair + what would naturally be a pale area on a red tabby. It's also possible to have minimum white spotting on a solid (non torbie) tortie, and thus still have her look more like a tortie than what would typically be called a calico.

Other than her having a bit more red on her, she looks a lot like a longhaired, dilute version of my DSH tortie, who is solid black + red tabby.

20231008_105558437_crop.jpg

Anyway, we could spend a long time discussing what exact flavour of dilute tortie she is, but I think we can all agree she's a purebred pretty kitty!