What Do You Think Your Cat's Favorite Color Is?

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know their spectrum isn't wide, but sometimes you notice their behavior towards certain things. I can't remember what color they can actually see. Is it brownish and yellow? Anyway, I think Kaleb is attracted to blue. Anyone else think their cat prefers a certain hue?

By the way, Once I get access to a computer I want to post a picture of him. He gave me some really wild cat eyes yesterday and I captured it. I think he was trying to tell me something about all the pictures I was taking. Who knows what a cat thinks! Not me!

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's an interesting thought and one I've not thought of before myself! Toffee likes blue objects, as most of the blankets he has taken a liking to have been various shades of blue. Fudge however, I think prefers multicolours as he has taken a particular liking to a colourful cushion we have on the sofa.
Both boys enjoy bright pink too - we have a hot pink chez lounge that they have taken up as their bed!

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pink, most definitely pink. Mika always goes for my pink shirts, blankets and other stuff more than anything else. I think its her color too. That and red. I think they complement her fur so well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Links favorite blanket is my colorful one. If I take it off my bed he complains even though the material is the same as the other blanket on my bed. Not sure either is is color or pattern though.

View attachment 243119
I love the look!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know their spectrum isn't wide, but sometimes you notice their behavior towards certain things. I can't remember what color they can actually see. Is it brownish and yellow?
Cats are trichromatic, just as Humans are; the difference is primarily in the enormous number of rods (and far fewer cones) in cats' eyes. This will show you quite accurately how cats see:

How cats see the world compared to humans

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The way Tom always insists of touching the little parrots, I would think it were green. I walk right by him with one on my shoulder, walking it back from the kitchen or the couch and he reaches out to smack it.
DUDE. WE DON'T TOUCH BIRDS!
Idris usually tries to attack him back, so he'll just sit there when she's cornered and pivot his head back and forth. I've been dumb and left the cage open, run errands for an hour, find that she's missing, and go look for Tom. He's babysitting because she won't let him taste her.

meto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Caine is mesmerized by broccoli. I dont know if it's a color thing or something else, but he could stare at broccoli for a long time.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed they like bright red & bright light blue, I wonder if it has more to do with the bright factor over the color per se?

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They see mostly blue and yellow tones as you can see in the linked article! Elf's feeder balls, her clicker and a lot of her toys are blue; manifacturers are pretty smart :p

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Caine is mesmerized by broccoli. I dont know if it's a color thing or something else, but he could stare at broccoli for a long time.
Salvador (Kaleb's original name) goes after banana peels. The first time he saw one he was about 3 feet away, and he crouched and wiggled and came after it. Maybe he likes yellow after all.

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The way Tom always insists of touching the little parrots, I would think it were green. I walk right by him with one on my shoulder, walking it back from the kitchen or the couch and he reaches out to smack it.
DUDE. WE DON'T TOUCH BIRDS!
Idris usually tries to attack him back, so he'll just sit there when she's cornered and pivot his head back and forth. I've been dumb and left the cage open, run errands for an hour, find that she's missing, and go look for Tom. He's babysitting because she won't let him taste her.
I've thought of getting another bird, but had to get rid of a fish and gecko because Sal would go after them constantly. I don't think I'd have much success with birds. But yes, a lot of birds are very green...and will fight back.

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've noticed they like bright red & bright light blue, I wonder if it has more to do with the bright factor over the color per se?
hmm. well, it could be light and dark too. because they don't really see bright.

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats are trichromatic, just as Humans are; the difference is primarily in the enormous number of rods (and far fewer cones) in cats' eyes. This will show you quite accurately how cats see:

How cats see the world compared to humans
Thanks for sharing this! It's good to get inside their world a little. I also think it's fascinating. And never knew that they had good peripheral vision.

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing this! It's good to get inside their world a little. I also think it's fascinating. And never knew that they had good peripheral vision.
sorry for repeating myself.