What Do I Do?

and harry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted a 10 year old named Marley. I previously had a one year old cat named Noelle. Introducing them has not been the smoothest. Marley has ran out of her separated room a couple of times when we opened the door so they have come face to face. The new cat Marley hissed at the resident Noelle which was worrying because I thought it should be the other way around. I know the process takes time and patience but Marley hates being seperated of course we pay her many visits but you can tell shes miserable in there. She has a scratching post and toys but is not interested. We let her out and let Noelle into her space once or twice a day. She has began skipping out on meals when we first got her she would devour her food quickly. I'm worried about her health. What should I do?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
A warm welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: Thank you for adopting Marley. Unfortunately when we adopt a cat we do not usually know it's prior history. There is a period of adjustment for her which differs in each individual cat. I thought these Articles would help answer some of your questions:
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

Good luck with Marley and Noelle. :goodluck: Remember time and patience will help the two cats get better acquainted. Please keep us posted on their progress.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would let the two have longer visits and see what happens. If all that happens are some hisses, that is perfectly fine. As a ten year old, Marley may have no interest in playing or even interacting with Noelle, and may be perfectly happy to be out of the room and coexist with her.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say that the biggest mistake in introducing cats is doing it too quickly.

I'm saying this about you or any other individual. I'm saying it about almost everybody, me included. It's only natural, after all... we want the cats to be friends. Right? :)

The problem is that cats have their own timelines and every cat's timeline is different.

I think you were doing it right... New cat goes in the isolation room for the first day so that it can get used to its new place and smell the resident cat's scent. Then, on the second day, the cats switch places so that the resident cat can smell the new cat's scent and the new cat can explore.

Cats switch back and forth for a couple-few days then carefully introduce them and see what happens.

Make sure that each cat has food, water, litter, toys and a hidey-hole of their own... SEPARATE from each other.

At that point, you play it by ear. Watch the cats, see what happens and adjust as the situation dictates.

I think that you've done all those things. Just too soon on the face-to-face.

I suggest going back to square one and starting the whole process over again.

Yes, cats will complain, yowl and scratch at the door and things like that. Don't worry, though. Consider that cats have the mentality of a three-year-old kid. They want what they want...when they want it...RIGHT NOW... and they'll kick, scream and cry to get it.

This is a time for "Mother Knows Best." ;)

If you go slowly, I think you'll be okay. :)