What Do I Do With The Kittens I Rescued?

egates

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued 3 kittens from my backyard sometime in late october/november just before the temperature dropped. I knew they were there since about early september, but they were in a place I could not get to them. I would feed the mother cat and I put out a kennel for them to use as house. I actually trapped them in the kennel one night when the temp was heading towards single digits. They were probably about 6-8 weeks, maybe 10 weeks when we trapped them. We brought them into the house and kept them in a closed off room where my wife lived with them almost 24x7 for weeks.
They are probably about 7-8 months old at this point and I've had them fixed and given them their shots - which I could not really afford but did it anyway. We also TNR'd the mother cat and she still comes around for food - so does the cat that we believe to be the father cat but we could not catch him.
One of the kittens has domesticated quite well and is a pleasure and my wife will probably end up keeping her but she would be our 4th cat so I'm not thrilled.
Two of the kittens are really what I need help with. They received exactly the same attention and care as the other one but they did not respond as well and while my wife could feed them with a spoon and they will sometimes sleep with us at night, we cannot touch them and they run and hide. They also pee on clothes and blankets even though they clearly know how to use the litterbox and use them all the time.
Basically, they seem unadoptable at this point - and we can't even catch them if someone wanted to take them. When we took them to the vet to be fixed, it was a nightmare and multi-day event trying to catch them, especially the male cat.
What can we do? They mostly get along with the other cats but 6 cats is too many and when they pee on clothes and blankets, its a huge problem.
I am not putting them outside or abandoning them somewhere. They will be safe and well cared for but at the cost of my sanity.
This is a good deed gone straight down the tubes.
We've started another attempt at socializing them by separating the two of them back into the closed off room and living with them in the room again but they are not happy about that.
Is there any organization that can take them and socialize them better than we can? They really are nice cats and as long as you leave them alone, they are fine, the one girl interacts with us - she'll come get me along with one of our other cats if they need food, the boy is really standoffish but will curl up by my feet when I'm sleeping but if you move anywhere near them, they take off so fast you can't touch them.
Its the peeing that that's the real problem, though.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - and bless your hearts for having done all this!!

I am going to guess that if you were to separate the two, the little female would come around pretty fast, I think she sees her brother freak out/run and she thinks she needs to as well. If she weren't being influenced by him, she'd be ok.

The articles below might have something useful for you, they aren't lengthy and are pretty packed with info.

In that room where you have them now, can you remove everything that is something they'd likely pee on, and have only a couple of litter boxes as options for the little felines? Some members have reported that potting soil added to litter has helped, also try a different litter and even a different box. I realize you said they're using the box regularly but it needs to be imprinted on their baby brains.

I think there is a stress factor or three going on here that's got your little man a bit wigged out--not to say good or bad but for all I know, it might be you. Can you get some feliway or other calming product for him? Diffusers, sprays, treats collars and there are a number of products with different ingredients in case feliway/pheromones have no effect.

You-all probably know this, but if you sit on the floor, don't look at the cats, have treats in your hand long enough so the treats smell like you, then put them on the floor, let the cats approach you, speak quietly, read poetry to them. You've made enormous strides forward in the fact that they actually sleep with you etc. so a little more patience and time.
Hang in there!!

How Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions
How To Remove Cat Urine
16 Experts Reveal The Most Common Litterbox Mistakes (and How To Avoid Them)
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me
Handling Feral Cats
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:
Thank you for taking in mama kitty and her kittens. You and your wife are angels for having done that. :rock:

One suggestion I've seen for extremely litter box adverse cats is "crate litter box training". I have only seen a few mentions of it, but it's something you might want to research.

Here's a link with the steps to follow: http://www.ourcompanions.org/pdf/OC Crate Training for Your Cat.pdf

Plus a thread by a TCS member who tried it with their cat:
About To Start Crate Training For My Extremely Litter Box Averse Cat