what do do....................

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the back drop

i have a garden, that is 12 metres by 6 metres wide - grass for most cut short, i also have a porch.
end of garden, host a shed, thats 6ft by 4 feet wide, and next to the shed, i laid down branches, about 4 feet high, just in front of the branches cats were using it as a toliet, i placed two 6 by for feet fence, that i got from scrap, over the area been used as toilet, using the branches to create the angle to the soil, didn't have tools at hand stop gap.
Cats now use one door down from me, garden as a toliet. think owner fo cat property, me, then, mr jones to me.

there are 5 cats:
adult female with collar
adult female without collar - dropped 3 kittens in april or may of this year
3 kittens all female, one with collar

i beleive the cats belong to next door, as i have seen the husband and wife feed them, on numerous occassions, left overs, bone with little meat etc, cabbage, pitta bread, although wife denied it in june of this year.

Not enough food for all 5 cats, just throws it in their garden floor, or aliminium takeways boxes.

Cats have housed them self, within the branches as a kind of shelter, persumably as a tree over looks that area also.

Issue:
The cats are middening all over my garden and all around the shed area, footpath and porch.
finding pieces of food on my porch, as with not enough food to go round, cats are calling dibs, jumping over the fence, into my garden to scoft, uninterrupted.

area end of garden, where cats have housed themself, was out this morning, trying to clean the shed, they would not move, even though, i was throwing disinfectent and water around the shed, not in the cats direction, feline with collar looked at me but wasn't bothered.

a tom cat in the area who impregnated, the feline without the collar, [dropped 3 kittens may or so this year], constantly making trips thru my garden, to the neighbours, or if the cats are residing on my porch, to check if they are in heat, including the kittens.

feline with collar, has started breast feeding the kittens of the other feline cat, who gave birth in may, since sept, and i persume could be pregnant, or is it continual stimualtion.

i tend to my garden with shears, every seven to 10 days, grass is about 3 to 4 inches high, planning to do some planting, probably around the christmas period.

further questions:
is the a grounds for animal cruelty
what do i do with the end of garden, branches been utilized as a shelter
what do i do about the middening
Parasites from all the middeing

can not leave back door open, without one the cats trying to get in

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats obviously are tame or at least socialized, wild cats would not be seen and would flee as soon as they saw you. These cats were most likely dumped by some uncaring person and are desperately trying to survive. The neighbors are maybe not the owners but feel sorry for them. The females need to be sterilized and released or they will continue to have kittens until there are hundreds. Starvation, predators, and cars will most likely kill many of them. if you cannot find it in your heart to help them by Trap-Neuter-Release so their numbers become stable I would suggest contacting neighbors and seeing if they belong to anyone and ask them to feed them more so they stay home. Just getting rid of them by trapping will just leave a vacuum and more will move in, that is why sterilizing and releasing back is better. You might get hold of a local rescue and see if they can help. The kittens could get homes, perhaps on a farm. I have many cats show up where we are and we are far away from any neighbors. I feed them and want them around to get rid of rodents, but coyotes take care of many of them. Cats have a very hard, short life when they are not kept indoors, I pity them......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cats obviously are tame or at least socialized, wild cats would not be seen and would flee as soon as they saw you. These cats were most likely dumped by some uncaring person and are desperately trying to survive. The neighbors are maybe not the owners but feel sorry for them. The females need to be sterilized and released or they will continue to have kittens until there are hundreds. Starvation, predators, and cars will most likely kill many of them. if you cannot find it in your heart to help them by Trap-Neuter-Release so their numbers become stable I would suggest contacting neighbors and seeing if they belong to anyone and ask them to feed them more so they stay home. Just getting rid of them by trapping will just leave a vacuum and more will move in, that is why sterilizing and releasing back is better. You might get hold of a local rescue and see if they can help. The kittens could get homes, perhaps on a farm. I have many cats show up where we are and we are far away from any neighbors. I feed them and want them around to get rid of rodents, but coyotes take care of many of them. Cats have a very hard, short life when they are not kept indoors, I pity them......
ok i will look in to tnr

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for reaching out to our feline-supportive community! I am sorry that you are going through this; I am sure the cats are sorry that they no longer have a REAL home, as well. TNR is definitely the best answer for the cats and your neighborhood. If you are on good terms with your neighbors, you could consider putting out litter boxes on both properties and containing the excrement that way since you will be dealing with the issue anyway. It should be the same with feeding. The scraps being fed by the neighbors are more likely to attract omnivorous scavengers such as skunks & raccoons than cats. A good feeding program would be the noble and humane thing to do. Di and Bob is right about the cats being dumped - their collars indicate that they were once loved but situations have changed. The most common scenarios are the owner died or the cats were kidnapped & dumped as a part of domestic violence.
Please keep us updated and, again, thank you for posting!