What could this be???

Tootsiecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve had this kitten for about 3 months now that being her age and all of a sudden maybe 2 days ago? She started developing like this rash or hot spot looking thing on her neck. I think she may occasionally scratch it which of course makes it worse. She has a vet appointment on Saturday just wanted some opinions.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tootsiecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you given her any type of flea treatment in that area?
Nope. Not recently. Last time I did that was when I got her and afterwards she was fine. I’ve been giving her oral pill flea treatment.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What oral pill are you giving her?

It’s a hot spot for sure! Ouch! Put coconut oil or vaseline on it for now until you see the vet. Poor baby!

What and how often are you feeding? How are her peeing and pooping?

Tootsiecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use the brand Capstar flea tabs, I’ve given them to my other cats and they’re all fine. And I usually give her Purina Kitten Chow at least 3-4 times a day but lately she hasn’t been wanting to eat her food and eat the Purina Indoor cat food I give the adults, her bowels movements are great and so is her peeing

Tootsiecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What oral pill are you giving her?

It’s a hot spot for sure! Ouch! Put coconut oil or vaseline on it for now until you see the vet. Poor baby!

What and how often are you feeding? How are her peeing and pooping?

I use the brand Capstar flea tabs, I’ve given them to my other cats and they’re all fine. And I usually give her Purina Kitten Chow at least 3-4 times a day but lately she hasn’t been wanting to eat her food and eat the Purina Indoor cat food I give the adults, her bowels movements are great and so is her peeing. She’s been really good that’s why I worry.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make some black tea, and place the teabag on the spot, after it's cooled down of course! The tannins in the tea help to dry up hot spots. If it doesn't go away the first time you can swab it with the cold tea as often as you want.

Tootsiecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Make some black tea, and place the teabag on the spot, after it's cooled down of course! The tannins in the tea help to dry up hot spots. If it doesn't go away the first time you can swab it with the cold tea as often as you want.
Okay awesome. I’ll try that until she actually gets to see the Dr. on Saturday. It appeared out of nowhere and got me so worried.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Capstar is considered as usually safe. the fault with it, it is just killing the adult fleas living NOW, so it must be followed up by some other defleaser. But as a quick remedy for NOW its good.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hotspots are usually treated with hydrocortisone cream. Because it is a steroid you want to handle it carefully and wash your hands after applying it.

Trim the fur around the hotspot. You also will want to keep it dry gently pat down the ooze from it with an absorbent cloth do not scrub it or rub hard.