What could have causes this wound?

lapislove2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is a stray I've been feeding for over a year. She came inside to have her babies. While checking on the kittens, I noticed this wound.
Snapchat-1992526836.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its the momma?
My impression its a bit of hairs missing too leaving a good bit of skin bare... Perhaps a near miss by a car travelling along her? "did shaved" her

Or some other animal took narrowly missed her face, got a hold in her fur and drew away all the hairs from here...

If so, the wounds are because there some skin followed with the hairs...

I hope the wounds are healing now OK by themselves.
Do you have access to a vet, to ask for advice? I mean, if its surface wounds, they seem to be healing... But if there IS a deep wound under from a bite, it should need cleansing and perhaps antibiotica.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It does look like a bite, or she has scratched herself raw if she has fleas. Try to apply a warm damp compress. She may need antibiotics if it’s infected. Perhaps send the photo to your vet?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had outdoor ferals continually and this looks like a bite wound only because of the one deep puncture; does not mean that I have to be right though. It probably needs some attention from the vet.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im thinking on the hairless area... This doesnt come at once (unless something teared off the hairs, as I thought). But if its a bite wound, this is an OLD bite wound; got infected, got swollen, this caused the hairs to fall off. And now its hopefully healing...
Still may be wise to consult your vet... It may need additional cleansing.