What colour is a chinchilla newborn kitten?

Cheryl Agnes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I’m hoping to buy a chinchilla kitten. The father is a black-tipped chinchilla Persian and the mother is a silver shaded Persian.

The newborn kittens are in different shades of grey, some lighter and some darker. The breeder tells me that the lighter grey kittens would grow up to be chinchillas, but the photos of chinchilla kittens I’ve seen look almost white. Is it possible for a grey kitten to lighten enough to be a chinchilla?

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The silvers are born with many shades. The only difference in shaded and chinchilla is the amount of black tipping (unless it is a blue silver) on the end of the hair. I have never bred chinchillas but without knowing the pedigree and really knowing the lines, only a very experienced breeder might be able to tell in a very young kitten. I have found the coat color is seasonal - the fuller the coat, the lighter it appears. I tended to stay away from focusing on chins because to keep from getting neither/nors you breed chin to chin, and after awhile you lose size and boning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cheryl Agnes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much for your reply and the valuable information! 🙏