What color kittens can my cat have?

AlaskaPets

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 7 weeks pregnant, and I wanted to know if it is possible to tell what color kittens she will have?
Here is a picture of her.
unnamed (22).jpg

And the dad could be our orange tabby with white socks and mouth or our solid black cat or both.
We didn't purposefully breed her it was an accident, we had an appointment already set up but it, unfortunately, got canceled.

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's gorgeous! I'm by no means an expert in this stuff, but her boys will probably black/and white or orange/and white and her girls could be either of those (unlikely they'd be orange as orange cats tend to be boys for some reason) or calicos/torties like her. The interesting thing about cats is that coat color is actually a sex-linked gene, appearing on the X chromosome. Because of this, boys can only have one color and girls can have two. The white is a "masking gene" of sorts that hides the true color of the coat (so a black and white cat is genetically black). There's a whole lot more to it than just that and someone else may be able to answer in greater detail than I.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AlaskaPets

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's gorgeous! I'm by no means an expert in this stuff, but her boys will probably black/and white or orange/and white and her girls could be either of those (unlikely they'd be orange as orange cats tend to be boys for some reason) or calicos/torties like her. The interesting thing about cats is that coat color is actually a sex-linked gene, appearing on the X chromosome. Because of this, boys can only have one color and girls can have two. The white is a "masking gene" of sorts that hides the true color of the coat (so a black and white cat is genetically black). There's a whole lot more to it than just that and someone else may be able to answer in greater detail than I.
Wow, I didn't know that! I'm kinda hoping for a calico lol.
Thanks for the reply!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Calicos can have the largest variety possible.

Male kittens get one color gene just from their mom. So the boys can be red or black or maybe tabby if the red boy is the dad and he carries tabby (it's hard to tell with reds, it's complicated, lol). If the black cat is the dad, no dark tabbies (reds always have a visible tabby pattern).

For girls, if the red boy is the daddy, they can be red or black or calico/tortie (or maybe tabby version of any of those). If the black cat is the daddy, they can be black or calico/tortie, no red girls or tabbies.

There's a small chance for dilute or pointed, if both parents carry that gene.

If the red cat is the daddy they'll have more white on them.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ars the boys neutered now? She can get pregnant again very soon after giving birth, and males can stay fertile for a few weeks after neutering (sperm hiding in the tubes) so if they aren't neutered at least 3 weeks before she gives birth you'll want to keep her strictly separated until after she's spayed.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
To add to this analysis re the fathers. Usually there is just ONE father, even if momma mated with several males. The different looks on the kittens can usually be explained by knowing basic cat genetics.

Usully, but that said, there may be several fathers to a litter, especially as we know she HAD access to two fertile toms and was on friendly foot with both. So a mating could be done withouth no complicated courting nor violence.

It happens occasionally we do realize, there must have been yet another father. Say, there is an all white kitten where no parent carried white. Or a tabby, where no parent carries tabby. Or a mackerel tabby where parents carry classic tabby. (mackerel dominates over classic).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
By all means, take the time now while she is pregnant and nursing to get your male cats neutered. The procedure and recovery are quick, and it’s usually cheaper than spaying. That way you will have less to worry about for awhile.

AlaskaPets

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
By all means, take the time now while she is pregnant and nursing to get your male cats neutered. The procedure and recovery are quick, and it’s usually cheaper than spaying. That way you will have less to worry about for awhile.
It's actually not my choice to get them neutered, but I will definitely talk to my mom about it!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I understand, but the alternative is more and more kittens in the long run. I hope your mom will go for it. :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's actually not my choice to get them neutered, but I will definitely talk to my mom about it!
If she won't neuter them for some reason, like I said, keep the female completely separated from them until after she'sspayed. It's hard on a female to have pregnancies too close together, plus you don't want to be up to your eyeballs in kittens!

AlaskaPets

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she won't neuter them for some reason, like I said, keep the female completely separated from them until after she'sspayed. It's hard on a female to have pregnancies too close together, plus you don't want to be up to your eyeballs in kittens!
Ok, thanks for letting me know, I'm sure well get them neutered soon but I will try to keep them separated until then!