What Color Is My Cat? (using Breeder's Terminology)

Dany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've looked everywhere on the internet trying to figure out what coloring my gorgeous domestic shorthair tabby is, but she doesn't seem to match any of the established colors/terms that breeders use to describe cats. Her fur is too golden to be brown and too silvery to be anything in the reds range. She doesn't fit lilac and fawn either because she's definitely not a dilute.

The other thing is that her back and tail pattern are pretty unique for a tabby, in that they're the inverse of what you'd expect from a standard classic tabby coloration. Instead of having golden brown base fur with black swirls and stripes, she has solid black base fur with golden brown swirls and stripes. I don't know if this complicates things further because I just don't know enough information about this subject.

Is there any existing coloration/pattern terms that describe her well enough? She doesn't fit brown or gray well enough, so I started to look outside of those and none of the other ones I found seemed to fit quite right either.

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She certainly has a striking pattern, doesn't she? Since she has some "goldeness" in her fur, I'd go with chestnut tabby in the classic or "bullseye" pattern. There was a top-winning Oriental in CFA named Elizara who was a chestnut... you can see in her picture that it's like a light golden brown: Oriental Photos, Top Cats 2015-16

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ooh, that award-winning cat is gorgeous!
As for Marigold, she's either a chestnut classic tabby or some other sort of mix that causes this non-pedigree coloring.