What budget foods would you feed these 2 senior rescue cats with different health problems?

vanee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had cats all my life and have fostered various cats and dogs as well. Currently we have our 2 cats, a foster dog, and 2 cats we took in for a few months that belong to an unhoused woman who's working on getting her life back together. We can't afford much, but my minimum standard for cat and dog food is no animal by-products and no corn.

That may need to change for these 2 foster cats.

The cats came to us with food she had that was different colors and had corn as the first ingredient. They've also been getting a spoonful of donated Friskies canned food once a day. That's almost finished. After they finished the dry food that came with them, I started them on 4Health dry food.

Cat 1 is a large, overweight male about 9 years old. He gained a lot of weight in the past few months, probably from stress because of an unstable living situation in a tent plus the winter cold until we took these cats in. I want to start rationing his food after he gets more comfortable here but not before -- I don't want to add unnecessary stress.

His owner told me the other day that she fed them urinary tract health dry cat food when she could get it because she'd seen male cats with urinary tract problems and didn't want him to go through that. I wouldn't want him to get a urinary tract problem while in my care because of feeding him a diet that wasn't specifically to prevent that. But all the urinary tract health dry foods I've found are either super expensive or have corn as a main ingredient.

How useful is it to feed male cats food designed to prevent urinary tract infections? Should I give him one of these foods since he isn't my cat, or are there better ways to prevent this problem? He drinks plenty of water. If I feed him one of these foods, which one would you suggest? I need to keep the price to not much over $2/pound.

Cat 2 is a female about 11 years old. She isn't overweight, and she likes to be active. (My cats are indoor cats, but these cats are used to the outdoors, and this one craves being outside for part of the day. And as I said, they aren't my cats.) Her problem is itchy bumps all over, and she's got a bald spot near her tail from chewing. I haven't seen any evidence of fleas although they're a possibility -- she's a long-haired cat, so it would be hard to find them. For now, food allergies are the top suspect. I was hoping that by cutting out by-products, corn, wheat, and soy, she'd find relief. We'll be able to test that theory once they finish the Friskies canned food.

However, if Cat 1 goes on a budget-friendly food for urinary tract health, Cat 2 will also have access to that food unless I'm very careful not to let them share food (which they currently do).

In your experience, what are the best foods to avoid when trying to identify and avoid allergens?

Any other suggestions for these cats? I'd love to give them back to this woman in improved health when she has a home again, but I'm limited in what I can afford.

Thanks for your help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
I don't know how good or bad it is to feed urinary tract health food, but it's her cat so maybe this will work?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DJBW2TH/?tag=thecatsite

I think getting them away from food with corn will help their systems a lot. Then you can see how things are and go from there
Thanks. That one has corn, but at least it isn't the first ingredient.

I'd like to get away from corn, but I can't afford the urinary tract health cat food that's higher quality and doesn't have corn.

vanee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The weight gain may be from feeding just dry so try mixing with wet. By products are what a wild cat eats.
I've heard that dry food can contribute to weight gain but not necessarily. My 2 cats are indoor-only cats, eat mostly dry food, and aren't overweight.

By-products that wild cats eat are fine. My concern with by-products in cat food is about what may be in the by-products, such as meat from diseased animals or parts from dead animals that were left unrefrigerated for hours. A problem with by-products is that you don't really know what all is in them. I see that as a concern for all pets but especially pets with allergies, when you need to know what you're feeding them. We might disagree about by-products, and that's OK. I don't really want to turn that aspect of this into a big discussion as it isn't one of the problems.

The owner of these cats has had them for a couple of years and always fed them dry food. The male gained weight only in the past few months, when his life became unstable and stressful. Aside from that, while I agree that wet food is better, I can't afford it except for a spoonful per cat once a day. We couldn't afford to take in a foster dog when we did, but we took her in anyway because the need was urgent. Then we took in these 2 cats during a snowstorm because they urgently needed a foster home too. We're doing what we can to save lives and improve them if we can, but we have to work within financial limitations.

vanee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that dry food can contribute to weight gain but not necessarily. My 2 cats are indoor-only cats, eat mostly dry food, and aren't overweight.

By-products that wild cats eat are fine. My concern with by-products in cat food is about what may be in the by-products, such as meat from diseased animals or parts from dead animals that were left unrefrigerated for hours. A problem with by-products is that you don't really know what all is in them. I see that as a concern for all pets but especially pets with allergies, when you need to know what you're feeding them. We might disagree about by-products, and that's OK. I don't really want to turn that aspect of this into a big discussion as it isn't one of the problems.

The owner of these cats has had them for a couple of years and always fed them dry food. The male gained weight only in the past few months, when his life became unstable and stressful. Aside from that, while I agree that wet food is better, I can't afford it except for a spoonful per cat once a day. We couldn't afford to take in a foster dog when we did, but we took her in anyway because the need was urgent. Then we took in these 2 cats during a snowstorm because they urgently needed a foster home too. We're doing what we can to save lives and improve them if we can, but we have to work within financial limitations.
Totally understand. Do what you can. The cats have a much better chance of surviving since you rescued them.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is that wysong I posted above a possibility or is that stretching the budget too much even on sale?

vanee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is that wysong I posted above a possibility or is that stretching the budget too much even on sale?
I don't know. Thing is, I need to get closer to finishing the bag of food they're on, and it might not be on sale by then. I've got too many expenses to buy it right now.

However, I just discovered that 4Health from Tractor Supply, which they're on now, has a urinary tract health formula. It didn't show up in my searches at other sites because it's sold only at Tractor Supply. It also has corn as a filler, but corn is the fourth ingredient, so it's looking like a good contender now.

At this point, I think I'll try to feed the cats different types of food once we finish the current bag.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, that's kind of crazy, I kept thinking about tractor supply but figured no way would they have anything ! Good for you!