What "breed" of kitten is this?

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was browsing through Cheezburger today, and came across this adorable kitten:

This cat seems to have a distinct look about it, and I'd like to hear thoughts from those with a more trained eye than me. I mean, this is just for fun. I know he's a DSH. :lol3:

I would hazard a wild guess at British Shorthair?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Exotic shorthair - the shorthaired version of Persians

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would hazard a wild guess at British Shorthair?
Brits don't have that 'stop' in the nose, it's not allowed. BSHs just have a slight intendation. As missymotus said, Exotic is the breed. Cute pics.

Luna (old kitten pic but you'll get the point of the side profile)  and Kuura here demonstrating what a British nose should look like 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ah, thanks to both of you. What threw me off was that his facial fur is white, so I didn't notice the fold his lips have above his whiskers. Either way, he is just adorable.

And NorthernGlow -- as always, Luna and Kuura are just gorgeous. Although my favorite of yours is probably Utu, since he always looks so grumpy. :lol3:

Curious -- since Luna is a longhair, if she is bred to a BSH, what happens with the kittens? Are the longhairs considered BLHs and the shorthairs considered BSHs? I suppose it also depends on the registry.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And NorthernGlow -- as always, Luna and Kuura are just gorgeous. Although my favorite of yours is probably Utu, since he always looks so grumpy.

Curious -- since Luna is a longhair, if she is bred to a BSH, what happens with the kittens? Are the longhairs considered BLHs and the shorthairs considered BSHs? I suppose it also depends on the registry.
Yes. I just actually had a litter from Luna & Kuura. I breed in TICA where British Longhairs are recognized, if I'd breed in Fifé, I'd need special permissions for such mating (and Luna's color is forbidden in there too, they don't allow silver points). Kuura doesn't carry the longhair gene so all of their kittens were shorthairs. The registering is similar as in Persian/Exotic breeding where shorthair kittens will be Exotics and longhairs are Persians. So Luna's & Kuura's kittens are British Shorthairs.

And Utu doesn't always look grumpy, he has his moments..

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the grumpiness is a silver thing, all my silvers look grumpier than the other colours

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^That could be true, hard to say as I only have silvers at the moment so no comparison.
 But Kuura very rarely looks grumpy, I think I've only few times managed to capture a slightly grumpy look on his face. Most of the time he's just all O___O or blinking his eyes at me.

Last edited: