What breed my cat look like?

Rodion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everbody, we just adopted a kitten. She's name is "Zoi" and it is about 8 weeks old. Would somebody can tell me what breed she resemble? Thanks in advance

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's cute! Where did you get her?

She appears to be either very pale blue, or lilac in color. My guess would be lilac, given her nose leather color. Without papers or further information about her background, she would be described as a lilac domestic shorthair. In head and body type, however, she looks fairly similar to a pet quality British Shorthair, or straight-eared Scottish Fold kitten. She also might have a little bit of Persian in her background (and both of those other breeds have some Persian influence, as well).

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rodion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's cute! Where did you get her?

She appears to be either very pale blue, or lilac in color. My guess would be lilac, given her nose leather color. Without papers or further information about her background, she would be described as a lilac domestic shorthair. In head and body type, however, she looks fairly similar to a pet quality British Shorthair, or straight-eared Scottish Fold kitten. She also might have a little bit of Persian in her background (and both of those other breeds have some Persian influence, as well).
Thank you for your answer and compliments:) I get it from petshop. The seller said that she is lilac british shorthair. But as you say without papers it means nothing. My best guess is she is straight-eared Scottish Fold.

Rodion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ofcourse you know the best but it seems her ears and tail are a little bit sharp for british shorthair. Here are more pictures, her eyes looks very upset all the time...

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For a show quality British Shorthair, I agree you would look for a rounder tipped tail, broader and rounder muzzle, etc. But for a British Shorthair sold in a pet shop, she doesn't look unusual. "Pet quality" kittens do not necessarily match the show standard as closely. In some countries, British Shorthair is a popular breed and there are a lot of them sold in pet shops. You might be able to get more information if you contact the pet shop.

Have you taken her to a vet for a checkup and vaccines yet? She's old enough to get started on vaccines, and you can also talk to them about making an appointment for her to get spayed. The vet can examine her eyes and let you know if anything is wrong. Sometimes, cats and kittens with large round eyes have a tendency to have a little discharge like that all the time, even when they are not actually ill.

Generally, I wouldn't recommend getting a kitten from a pet shop. It's preferable to either work directly with a responsible breeder, or adopt a kitten from a shelter or rescue. 8 weeks old is also younger than the ideal age for a kitten to be sold; it's best for kittens to stay with mother and littermates a bit longer. However, I know that in some countries a lot of people still buy their cats from pet shops. You sound like a caring owner, and now that you have her, you can give her a wonderful life.

Rodion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For a show quality British Shorthair, I agree you would look for a rounder tipped tail, broader and rounder muzzle, etc. But for a British Shorthair sold in a pet shop, she doesn't look unusual. "Pet quality" kittens do not necessarily match the show standard as closely. In some countries, British Shorthair is a popular breed and there are a lot of them sold in pet shops. You might be able to get more information if you contact the pet shop.

Have you taken her to a vet for a checkup and vaccines yet? She's old enough to get started on vaccines, and you can also talk to them about making an appointment for her to get spayed. The vet can examine her eyes and let you know if anything is wrong. Sometimes, cats and kittens with large round eyes have a tendency to have a little discharge like that all the time, even when they are not actually ill.

Generally, I wouldn't recommend getting a kitten from a pet shop. It's preferable to either work directly with a responsible breeder, or adopt a kitten from a shelter or rescue. 8 weeks old is also younger than the ideal age for a kitten to be sold; it's best for kittens to stay with mother and littermates a bit longer. However, I know that in some countries a lot of people still buy their cats from pet shops. You sound like a caring owner, and now that you have her, you can give her a wonderful life.
I took her to vet for checkup and vaccines. The parasite vaccinations were given and the vet said she looks fine. Isn't it early for spay? By the way vet said; this breed of cat can have a little eye discharge and its normal.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took her to vet for checkup and vaccines. The parasite vaccinations were given and the vet said she looks fine. Isn't it early for spay? By the way vet said; this breed of cat can have a little eye discharge and its normal.
Great, I'm glad you were able to take her to the vet.

It's not too early to make a plan for her to be spayed as soon as the vet is willing to do it :) Some vet clinics will spay young kittens at her age. Any time between now and 4-5 months of age is good, as it's best to have her spayed before her first heat cycle, although some vets prefer to wait a little longer.

Yes, cats with large round eyes can have ongoing discharge like that. If it starts to cause stains or you feel it is bothering her, you can gently wash her face with a soft damp cloth.

Rodion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also want to spay her as soon as possible. Im going to talk vet about this next time... Thank you for informations.