What breed is this cat

LunarFlower

Genetics Enthusiast
Young Cat
Purraise
If there is no pedigree or papers, it’s likely you have a black-based broken mackerel tabby domestic shorthair.

Black based tabbies are one of the most common cats in the USA, and probably the world. In some corners of the internet they are called SICs, or “Standard Issue Cats” because this color and pattern combo is so common. Variants of this pattern are found in many different breeds, but that doesn’t make a cat with this pattern a purebred cat. Now, that doesn’t mean these cats are any less sweet, amazing, cute, or special; they make great pets!

If a breeder claims to be producing purebred cats but can’t provide you with paperwork, either they are a backyard breeder (who may not know what they are doing or have undocumented cats), a breeder trying to get rid of oops-litter kittens (usually not purebred or of poorer quality than they want in their bloodline), or someone trying to make their randomly bred cats look more appealing to buy by calling them purebreds.

If having a purebred cat matters to you, do your research and find a breeder with documentation. If you want a friend and a pet to spend your time with and love, you’re just fine without the papers or the purebred. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MilaaGirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And PS: Good breeders don't use Craigs List. They have long waiting lists of people who want their kittens long before there are even matings done.
he’s not a breeder, just a normal guy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MilaaGirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Very nice and pretty kitten. But if he is purebred? Yes, a sweet purebred domestic short hair tabby... They doesnt get better than this, nor become sweeter.
she does have dotted coating, and the two lines across her eyes and face. her personality traits are very similar to egyptian maus

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Breeders are regular, normal people too. I don't know what that is supposed to mean.

Anyone who puts 2 cats together and they have kittens whether on purpose or not, is breeding.

Some are good, ethical breeders that know what they are doing. Others, aren't and take advantage of people who don't know better.

It sounds to me the person you got this cat from is the second type. Unless they can give you proof that the kitten is a Mau then what you have is a domestic cat, as others have already stated. Hope you didn't pay too much for it.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is his cat and he is rehoming, and the cat is really pb he would have papers to prove it. Responsible breeders give paper work, register cats / kittens, and give you a pedigree. I do see people rehoming pets on craigslist, some may be purebred but without papers there is no way to prove it. Of course papers could be forged

Your kitty is a cutie and looks like a dsh brown striped, prolly mackerel tabby with some spots to me. Egyptian Mau are rare and have a unique look, check out the pics at links. They have more spots.
Here are videos people posted of heir Egyptian Mau kitties

Meet the Egyptian Mau, the Mini Cheetah of the Cat World.
Meet the Egyptian Mau, the Mini Cheetah of the Cat World.

30F4B81C-5160-4790-8FCF-914A60B7CD36.jpeg

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gorgeous kitty😻 his head looks a little exotic to me. It’s hard to say, I wouldn’t say he’s a purebred maybe some Mau or other influence.

lissett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ahh similar to my baby. Do you find your kitty smaller than the average kitty same age? I have a rescue and I just found out about this breed. My interest is to know because her size is so unusual to me. 💕

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to differ ever so slightly from everyone else. I do see some Mau in him. However, I don't see the scarab.
That said, without papers unfortunately, all you have is a DSH.
I'm not an expert on Mau's and don't know a whole lot about them. I did have a part Mau once though. (long story, but mama kitty was papered). So I can't help to much as I said, I'm no expert on them.

Edit: Lift the fur and see if the spots are pigmented in the skin or only in the fur.