What breed does my cat look like?

Lexyloo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is Miley she is 5 months old. Her mother and father were both black. All her siblings were black from one that was gray/blue. Her grandmother and mother always produce black litters with one gray/blue kitten. I was just wandering if you know why that is and if you can notice any breed mix she may be?

Attachments

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Somebody here with knowledge of breed types will surely reply to you.

Meantime, let me just say hello and tell you how elegant looking your cat is. She is a beauty.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Miley is a solid black domestic short hair. I see no evidence of her resembling a specific breed.
I love black cats (as you can see from my avatar). She looks very spunky!
I'm wondering why her mom and grandmother are being allowed to breed, however.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also describe her as a black domestic shorthair. She's a lovely little mini panther :) Most cats are not any particular breed, and are not mixes of breeds, unlike dogs.

The reason that her grandmother and mother have had litters of mostly black kittens with one gray/blue kitten is simple color genetics. Gray/blue color is a recessive trait. When two black cats carrying dilute (blue) are bred together, each kitten has a 75% chance of being black and 25% chance of being blue:
Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 8.33.51 AM.png

So we can infer that the grandmother, mother, and father(s) of these litters are all black carrying dilute (blue).

Does the owner of these cats need help finding a low-cost spay/neuter clinic?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lexyloo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi thank you this was very helpful! Her mom and grandmother aren't still being bred, they each had one litter and it was exactly the same apparently, at least that's what I was told. I was curious about how this happens but your explanation makes total sense. She's only 5 months old so I will getting her spayed soon bless her little heart. I don't think shes even had her first heat yet but I have a male angora mix kitten the same age so it needs to be done before their hormones kick in. They love each other so much and are inseparable, so I'm keeping a close eye on them. I never seen anything like it, they are never ever apart.