What Are Your Thoughts On Giving A Cat Something That Smells Like You For Comfort?

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know when dogs go to the vet, it's recommended that the owners leave a smelly shirt or something with them because the dogs draw comfort from their smell. The same is true for cats. I've seen cats that bury themselves in dirty laundry or pull out an old shirt to lay on.

The shelter cats LOVE me. It's a source of pride that I'm their favorite human. But they get anxious when I get up to leave and I've learned not to look back because it breaks my heart.

So here's what I was thinking. I'd buy a bunch of those fuzzy ball things and then use them to wipe off my sweat after a workout. Gross, I know, but cats love it. Then I'd give it as a present to various cats. What I'm trying to figure out how much of my sweat would it need to smell like me?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it’s a great idea and you don’t need much -their noses are much better than ours. Another alternative is to wear an old tee shirt for a couple of days and then cut it into a bunch of pieces for distribution. That way they won’t be stolen by cats playing as the fuzzy balls would.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I personally think as another person in the shelter I would be a little grossed out by that idea. Fret not, I have some other ideas that would not be a little off putting for other people.

Maybe a different option would be to buy some plain shirts. The 5 for $5 type from a WalMart or Dolllar Store. Wear them as undershirts or under jackets for a day or two. OR wear them to sleep for a few days. Then give those shirts to the cats on their cat beds or floor or whatever works best with the shelters set up.

I know my guys love stuffed animals so I usually send them to the vet with a small stuffed toy. So you could also shove some small stuffed animals in your bed and after a week or two of sleeping with them give them to the cats at the shelter to cuddle with.

Get some hand towels from the dollar store or a bargain bin and put them in your bed for a few nights. Then give the cats the towels in their kennels/areas.