What are your favorites?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you need to move this thread to the "Foodie's Corner" that's fine, it's just I wanted to reach out to everyone who likes to eat :p and not just those who would consider themselves a "foodie". Even those who avoid the kitchen at all costs have their favorite goody!!!

I'm starting the process of figuring out what I making for Christmas this year and although I want to cut back on how much I usually make I still want a well rounded platter of flavors and textures. So what are your favorite holiday baked goods?

This is a list of what I'm thinking of making. Some I HAVE to make otherwise I would probably be disowned by my family ;), but others I'm just trying to change things up a bit and make my life a bit easier this year.

the MUST list

Shortbread cookies - dipped in Chocolate
Cappuccino Flats
Marshmallow Squares
Ginger snaps/cookies
Date Squares

Always a hit list

Butterscotch Peanut butter clusters
Snickerdoodles (well...a variation of them, but it's still a cinnamon/sugar coated cookie)
Soft Jam cookies (variety of jam flavors)

New recipes to try for variation

Lemon Fudge

I also need to figure out a way to use some coffee flavored chocolate chips I have.
I was thinking of Chocolate Spritz cookies dipped in melted coffee chips or making finger cookies dipped/covered in it.

So what do you all think of my lists this year? Is there something you would add? take away? Favorites?

Last edited:

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never heard of Cappuccino Flats...those look tasty!

My personal favourite is the Finnish Cardamom Pulla Bread:

|

In general I am a sucker for spices! Cinnamon, Cloves, Nutmeg etc

As for your general list, they all look great! I would add something that would closely connect to the season, such as the aforementioned spices, but that seems to be taken care of with the ginger cookies and snickerdoodles (Plus unsure on what your family would want overall :lol:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would love to add chocolate chip cookies
I usually make choc chip cookies but I have been unsatisfied with many recipes I've made. I've only even eaten "the perfect" choc chip cookie a couple times in my life and have yet to find a recipe so I've decided to make one up myself....and I'm not ready yet.
Also choc chip is so common year round that I figured it could be one I omit this year. Next year though....WATCH OUT! because by then I'm sure I'll have perfected them! :thumbsup:

peanut butter ripple fudge
I'll take a peek. :)

fudge brownies
I have thought of using my fudge brownie recipe to use up the coffee flavored chocolate chips....we'll see.

Never heard of Cappuccino Flats...those look tasty!
They are! Did you look them up? If not, they are a semi-firm cookie flavored with chocolate, coffee and cinnamon dipped halfway in semi-sweet chocolate. It's a slice cookie, so you make the dough, roll into a log, then refrigerate till firm, then you slice into 1/4inch rounds for baking...(dip after cooled)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here’s my usual list:

Pizzelles
Italian Chocolate Chip
Molasses/Spiced Sugar cookies
Chocolate Crinkles
Tea Tassies
Raspberry Almond Thumbprints

I have done others; but these are the top favorites. My grandpa’s favorite are Italian White Cookies but the chocolate version are also good. Those and the Italian Chocolate Chip aren’t the sweetest and really nice with a hot cup of tea. :cloud9:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tea Tassies
what do they taste like?
I looked it up and they look like little butter tarts, but I noticed that the pastry used cream cheese...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what do they taste like?
I looked it up and they look like little butter tarts, but I noticed that the pastry used cream cheese...
The filling is very sweet being made from butter, chopped pecans (I’m not a big walnut fan) and brown sugar. It balances well with the pastry not being on the savory side.

I’m not sure how else to describe them but we all love them. I love the way the filling bakes up. It makes like a sweet crust on top; but the inside is soft. I will say; if you try them, make sure you grease your muffin tins VERY well and don’t overfill each little cup. I always have to bang the pans on the counter to release some so I started also greasing the top of the pan. It helps! I got a little wooden tool for making the cup shape too.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I always make a Chocolate Chip Bundt cake, not very festive but everyone in our family craves it. :yummy:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
who makes those nestle toll house?
Hershey's Chipits are the coffee flavored ones I have, but I think they've been discontinued as I can never find them. Nestle does have Espresso morsels though.

1636286552161.png

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always called them Pecan Tassies. They are good but it has been a long time since I made them.

I always made Peanut Butter Blossoms for the holidays. I don't know why I have linked those to the holidays but I have.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Must have are Caramel cream cookies, jello spritz and butterballs. The caramel cream is an roll, freeze and slice and bake butter cookie. Bland in itself but with browned butter icing, so delicious and very colorful because the dough is rolled in colored sugar before freezing.

The jello spritz is a called that because powdered jello is mixed into the dough and also sprinkled on top before baking. The fruity flavor plus the bit of tart on top is so good.

And lastly, my mother’s butterballs. Simple to make and everyone loves them,

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles My mom used to make them. She called them Pecan Tassies. She had (and I have it now) the little shaper tool thingie to make the dough cups.

To be made with our son and granddaughter:
  • Chocolate Crinkles
  • Rolled Sugar Cookies
  • Rolled Sand Tarts (Rick's mother loves sand tarts and so do I)
  • Rolled Stamped Cookies (Granddaughter and I love using cookie stamps!)
  • Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunks
  • Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • GF Peanut Butter Cookies (for our DIL who is gluten-free)
  • Hollidoodles (snickerdoodles, but rolled in red and green sugar, instead of sugar and cinnamon)
  • Maybe some spritz cookies, but Rick has to do them as I don't have the patience for the cookie press. And our granddaughter has never made them, so maybe that's something for her and Grandpa to do.
And anything else she decides.

And that may be it for cookies. We're going to give most of them for her to take home. We just don't need cookies around here. Even Rick agrees, which surprised me. But we'll see as we get closer to Christmas. As we get closer, Rick usually says, "You know, dear, we could use some ________".

There may be some kind of fudge, but we're not really fudge-lovers.
  • I must make Peanut Brittle.
  • I also love Almond Brittle.
  • Rick and I will roast peanuts, almonds, and cashews. Some for us and some for his mom.
  • Depending on how things go, I usually make marshmallows. So easy and just perfect on top of a mug of hot cocoa.
  • Sticky buns for Christmas morning to go with the aforementioned mug of hot cocoa and marshmallows. I'll make enough sticky buns to share with my sister and BIL, too. And some for our neighbors. That's usually what I do the day before Christmas, so they're still fairly fresh.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the ones I make are my "experiments" that have been perfected for our family over the years, so if I did not make them my family might revolt! This included my chocolate chip recipe that is slightly crunchy on the outside and soft inside yet with a bit of chewiness.

This year, we are having
Chocolate chip
Frosted sour cream sugar cookies
Chai bars
London fog creams
Chocolate Spice crinkles (It has a wee bit of cayenne in it, too)
Caramel and chocolate biscotti
Cinnamon orange sugar cookies
Soft molasses
And something my husband calls Riddle Bars (my version of revel bars)

I am playing around with a blueberry mascarpone cookie for my husband. (I will not eat them, but blueberries are on the lower end of the disgust meter for me and my cibophobia. If I wear gloves and put something under my nose to avoid the smell, I can bake with them.)

I also make a few different types of candy. Those vary more than the cookies, but I always make (homemade) toffee corn covered in chocolate, orange creams, and mini s'mores.