What Are You Doing To Stay Sane During This Heat And Humidity?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got my electric bill for July and it was $119 which is a lot for me. I live in a 730 square ft one bedroom apartment. It is an upstairs apartment which I am sure adds to the cost but that is still high for me.
I understand. Mine went from $83 in June to $132 in July.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it's been a pretty miserable summer here, weather wise. so many very, very hot days and we've had the worst drought in this region of the state i live in in 10 years. our little DeeDee has developed an upper respiratory infection, quite likely caused by the ac running more. i've been very uncomfortable all summer, with the high temperatures.

we have had the ac on most days as well as many nights. i prefer to have a window open during the night, and have done that as long as it isn't too hot and/or humid. we have three fans, two of which have been running continuously for probably over a month -- maybe longer.

i make sure i'm drinking enough liquids (staying hydrated), and will often have a few spoonfuls of ice cream to cool me down a bit.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, here in North East Montana, 60 miles from Canada, we are into setting all time heat records now. It has been hot this summer but not like this today. I have a weather station on the peak of a roof of a storage building. It is up high so it can measure the wind. It has a solar powered fan in it so it is supposed to measure the actual air temp and not heating from the sun. Today it was reading 117. I have another remote temp sensor in the shade under the trees. They say it's 10 degrees cooler in the shade of a tree. Well it was, 107 in the shade. And tomorrow is supposed to be the hot day, hotter than today. To add to that fun is all the smoke we are now getting from the fires. It is orange colored all the time and stings the eyes. Going out to move the water is not fun. It's like somebody overheated the oven with the cookies in it. How is it that I got nothing done today? I guess I was celebrating a new record.
What is even more wild, and actually the lifesaver for us, is that it cools off at night. So last night, it dropped to 55. Opened the windows, put the fan in the window to suck the heat out and cooled it down to 68 before the heating started this morning. Then the insulation designed for -40 in the winter, helped keep things from heating up inside to much in the day. Sigh, and in 6 weeks we can have out first frost.