What are you doing on Halloween?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We love Halloween so we'll be waiting for the trick-or-treaters. If the weather is nice enough we like to sit outside and watch the kids walk by in their costumes with their parents. 👻🎃🧙‍♀️

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing. It’s not an Australian festival, wrong season - it’s just a commercial money grab here. I loved the one Halloween I spent in the US a decade ago. Small town (village, really) in the Midwest, very much a family thing, pumpkin carving contest with impressive entries, lovely atmosphere. But here? Nah.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will probably do the same thing I've done the last couple of years, putting candy on my stoop and not answering the door. I'll probably hide in the basement with my dogs because my male dog reacts to EVERY little noise and I will definitely be very annoyed by him within half an hour. It would be the perfect time to do some pottery because I haven't actually done much in my studio in almost two months.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to love giving out candy to the kids on Halloween. But when I brought 8 ferals inside to live I had to stop becsuse the cats would get very upset with all of the commotion.

Now I'm in assisted living and this year they are having a "candy in the trunk" thing. I have no idea what that is but I guess I'll find out on Monday. The first two years I was here they didn't do anything because of Covid.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Handing out candy to kids - I usually get 120-140. It’s supposed to be a warm night so maybe more. From 5:30-8:30 I sit at the kitchen table where I have a view of the street and watch as kids go up and down the block, and jump up every few minutes to hand out candy. If it gets slow I may go visit with a few of my neighbors that have yard bonfires or sit on the steps and hand out candy from there.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to love giving out candy to the kids on Halloween. But when I brought 8 ferals inside to live I had to stop becsuse the cats would get very upset with all of the commotion.

Now I'm in assisted living and this year they are having a "candy in the trunk" thing. I have no idea what that is but I guess I'll find out on Monday. The first two years I was here they didn't do anything because of Covid.
Willow hides In the basement all night. She wants nothing to do with Trick or Treaters.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Same as catloverfromwayback catloverfromwayback . It's not a big deal in Australia. My house is pretty hidden so I tend not to get the few kids that do the door knocking thing. One year a couple of boys made it .. I didn't have anything to give them and said 'I'll take the trick'. They just looked at my blankly.:lol:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same as catloverfromwayback catloverfromwayback . It's not a big deal in Australia. My house is pretty hidden so I tend not to get the few kids that do the door knocking thing. One year a couple of boys made it .. I didn't have anything to give them and said 'I'll take the trick'. They just looked at my blankly.:lol:
Only time I’ve ever had someone come to the door was when a rather strange neighbour brought her kid (whose father was American, I think) over to trick or treat. I have no idea what she was thinking. No Halloween decorations on my house or anywhere else; I had never said more than the occasional hello to her; had no child and certainly never shown any desire to speak to hers; and last but not least she didn’t have the sense or courtesy to ask before she brought him to my door! My immediate reaction was “We don’t do trick or treating here,” which was the unadorned truth (and I don’t have lollies in the house at any time, so they were totally out of luck.)

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Handing out candy to kids - I usually get 120-140. It’s supposed to be a warm night so maybe more. From 5:30-8:30 I sit at the kitchen table where I have a view of the street and watch as kids go up and down the block, and jump up every few minutes to hand out candy. If it gets slow I may go visit with a few of my neighbors that have yard bonfires or sit on the steps and hand out candy from there.
120 - 140 kids? :eek3: Holy moly.

We live on an isolated cul-de-sac with only three houses and in 25 years, we've never had a single trick or treater.

I do love the decorations, colors, and costumes of Halloween, though, so we always go out somewhere to look at them. This year we have a 5 year old granddaughter and 8 year old grandson going to the same school, so I'll go to their Halloween parade Monday morning, that will be fun.

This weekend hubby and I are going to a Día de los Muertos celebration in at the San José Museum of Art. On Nov. 1, the actual Day of the Dead, we'll go to a local celebration and then come home to light candles on our own altar. We set one up every year with photos to honor those we've lost. Some years we have a Day of the Dead party and get pretty elaborate with the altar and decorations.

IMG_3622.JPG

Other years, like last year, it's just hubby and I. We reminisce about loved ones who have passed on and have a toast in their honor.
IMG_4044.jpeg

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll be continuing to get my house ready for a big service coming up. And then turning off my porch light because we had someone try to stop here once; even though we are on a country road.