What Are Some Problems Caused By Uncontrolled Inbreeding?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope they can save the female. So sad when they don't make it. Goats milk and KMR may be what's needed to boost the nutrition. I would feed every hour. There's no way you can over feed the kitten. Keep us posted.
I read somewhere that overfeeding can cause diarrhea?

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update: She gained some weight at the vet. The vet told me she looked pretty good and strong. They think she can make it! I’ve also been given Clavamox, pyrantel, and albon for them just in case. I’ll be starting them on the dewormer in a few days when they turn 2 weeks.

One concern: she is having really bad diarrhea and her anus looks very swollen. It isn’t red, but is raised and “lumpy” if that make sense. She had a “poopsplosion” last night that was so bad I had to clean her off with soap and water (don’t worry I kept her very very warm). I’ve diluted the milk 50:50 with pedialyte to combat dehydration. What can I do about her swollen anus? I’m not sure if she’s actually uncomfortable, but it looks painful...

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My shelter gave me a spray on something to ease the swelling (no idea what it was). I have used Bag Balm in the past though.
I'm honestly not sure about something like Vaseline or Desinex.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My shelter gave me a spray on something to ease the swelling (no idea what it was). I have used Bag Balm in the past though.
I'm honestly not sure about something like Vaseline or Desinex.
Thank you! I think I’ll use bag balm because I’ve heard it’s safe if Mom consumes it.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I think I’ll use bag balm because I’ve heard it’s safe if Mom consumes it.
Funny story, has nothing to do with your kittens, but validates that bag balm is safe.
When my son was 2.5 years old, he got his hands on a can of bag balm and one of my cats. The poor cat ended up with a mohawk down his entire body held sturdy by bag balm. Back then, we didn't have phones with camera's nor digital cameras, so I didn't get a picture. After a round of laughing hysterically, I got out all I could, but it doesn't come out of hair very well. The cat didn't suffer any ill effects from licking it off.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Funny story, has nothing to do with your kittens, but validates that bag balm is safe.
When my son was 2.5 years old, he got his hands on a can of bag balm and one of my cats. The poor cat ended up with a mohawk down his entire body held sturdy by bag balm. Back then, we didn't have phones with camera's nor digital cameras, so I didn't get a picture. After a round of laughing hysterically, I got out all I could, but it doesn't come out of hair very well. The cat didn't suffer any ill effects from licking it off.
:crackup::lol: OMG that is too funny!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How are the kittens today? The diarrhea may be from the clavamox.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The kittens are all doing well today! Nutmeg, the kitten that was doing poorly now weighs around 170 grams (she was 105 at her worst). I’m not sure if she still has diarrhea because Mom is quick to clean her, but she hasn’t had anymore big messes so I think it’s better. I’m giving her a little pedialyte in her milk just in case. I’m still supplementing, but doing less each day and if she is gaining on her own, I’ll stop completely.

Basil, the male that wasn’t doing well in the very beginning is also doing very well now and I haven’t had to supplement him for a week. He’s around 180 grams.

Here are the rest of the kittens:

Rosemary (female)

Parsley (male)

Cayenne (male)

And here’s mama Sage

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are just precious! So good to hear they are doing so well! :)