What are signs that cats just aren't feeling well?

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm worried about mine. I know she's now around 11 (uncertain of exact age but close enough), but seems basically uninterested in playing anymore. I can sometimes rouse her and just a few weeks ago - amazingly - she was acting like a kitten again chasing some toys around, etc. but now she pretty much just lays around a majority of the time. Definitely seems more hesitant to jump as mentioned in my other thread - so she is on the antinol. It just breaks my heart to think that she's maybe spending most of the time not feeling good 😟. Is there anything I should be looking for? Appetites is pretty much normal and sometimes I'd have to say she acts kind of like her usual self. Does getting older simply equal much more content to just lay around? It's what she does most of the time. Another thing she seems to do alot of his licking herself - as though she's going to wash but starts and then quits. Often spends time licking / sort of chewing at her back feet. Was just in to the vet for her wellness visit and got her rabies and distemper. Maybe I'm just reading more into this than I really should. She still has her typical moments of acting as 'normal', but it seems like they are far less frequent.

I should add there are no changes in litter box habits. Also no weight loss. Rather, the vet said she picked up close to a pound since last year and so she doesn't want to see her gain too much more. And yet, going back to her visit in '18 - she was just about the same as at the recent visit.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At some point older cats do slow down and sleep more. I have a 17 1/2 year old and she sleeps a lot more then she used to, every once in a while early in the morning she will have a short burst of kitten crazies. The kitten crazies don't last long and it is just once in awhile. Did she get blood work done when she had a wellness check? It's been my experience that when a cat isn't feeling well they start hiding a lot and their appetite drops off or they quit eating completely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No blood work. The visit is not the same as it was being that noone is allowed in the building due to covid. It's what I call the "drive-in" method. Everyone stays in their cars, calls in by cell phone, a staff member comes out to take the animals, then the doctor calls you on the phone to discuss. Then they bring the animals back out. She had said all seemed ok and then I mentioned the recent hesitancy to jump. That's when she suggested the antinol. It's ok by phone, but inevitably I think of something I would have discussed with the usual in-person visit right there with the pet. Not the same. Maybe by next year (?) Have to wonder now if my cat is maybe older than the shelter where I got here thought? They had said either 1 or 2 and I'll have her 10 years in August. Just wondering if there is some arthritis settling in - that could be it. See if there is any noticeable increase in mobility / energy with the antinol. She is only on it since last Wednesday.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Even 11 or so is not unheard of for arthritis to start in some cats. While the "drive in" method is in place, may I suggest that you jot down observations, questions, etc. as they occur, and, before taking her in, write or type them out clearly, and send the note in with her? It may help both you and her vet, and make sure that the bases are all covered as much as possible.

Also, Cosequin for cats is available without prescription, and can really help a cat with joint pain. It is available in several forms, so you should be able to find the one that is easiest for you to administer.