What Are People's Thoughts On A Fully Grown Cat Introduced To A Home Of A Kitten?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Already read everything I can about introducing two cats to each other.

I know it's suppose to be usually the other way around. But I have a little 22 week old kitten, that I like to find a friend for her. But she is a very tiny 3.4 pound kitten. I found one interesting cat on craglist whose owner will have to give away due to time. However the cat is a male, 2 years old, and 13 pounds. That's 10 pounds he has over her, but it's a male at least.

What are people's thoughts on this? Worst come to worse, I'll have to put the needs of my first cat above.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry too much about the size difference, I've known many small cats be the boss, and many female cats too. Dudley was massively bigger than Parker when I first introduced them, but Dudley was extremely gentle when playing. Now that Parker has grown, Dudley can let loose a lot more when it comes to playtime but he's still gentle with Parker and will stop (momentarily) if Parker squeals. 9.99 times out of 10, Parker is squealing with delight, and so the game resumes!

2 year old male, neutered cats are usually very loving. :catrub:

Because your kitten is only 22 weeks, I think that a 2 year old male would be ok to introduce. The tricky ages are when both cats are between 18 months and 4 years, when I'd not recommend new introductions, especially to a newbie.

:dance:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry too much about the size difference, I've known many small cats be the boss, and many female cats too. Dudley was massively bigger than Parker when I first introduced them, but Dudley was extremely gentle when playing. Now that Parker has grown, Dudley can let loose a lot more when it comes to playtime but he's still gentle with Parker and will stop (momentarily) if Parker squeals. 9.99 times out of 10, Parker is squealing with delight, and so the game resumes!

2 year old male, neutered cats are usually very loving. :catrub:

Because your kitten is only 22 weeks, I think that a 2 year old male would be ok to introduce. The tricky ages are when both cats are between 18 months and 4 years, when I'd not recommend new introductions, especially to a newbie.

:dance:
Okay the thing is, my current kitten will probably never get to be more than 5 pounds. So you think it'll be all fine and there's a good chance they'll be able to keep each other company and play together?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It really depends on the individual cats personalities. My boy, Link, loves other cats. He is very social and has brought strays home before. He was 11 pounds when I got Rocket, who was a little over a pound at the time. He followed her around and waited patiently for her to be ready to play. He'd sit on her in play, sometimes all I'd see is a tail, but he never hurt her and she always came back for more. Even now he weighs 13 pounds to her 8 and he never hurts her. Pushes her too far sometimes, but she isn't afraid to hiss and swat him when he does. It is very rare that I have to step in and tell him enough. But he's a good cat and listens when I do.

On the other hand, Nightfury disliked Rocket being added to the family and straight up ignored her for a good three months. To this day, nearly three years later, he still seems to tolerate her mostly. He never did more then hiss and go somewhere else though and never has hurt her.

I think in general, adult cats are tolerant and recognize that kittens are kittens. The biggest problem I see with adopting an adult into a home with a kitten is energy level. If the adult is mellow and calm a hyper kitten might be too much for them.

Here are some Link and Rocket photos. I have more videos then photos because those two were everywhere and always active once they did get going. Looking back through photos there are very few photos of Rocket without Link in the background. He really was excited to have a sister.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It really depends on the individual cats personalities. My boy, Link, loves other cats. He is very social and has brought strays home before. He was 11 pounds when I got Rocket, who was a little over a pound at the time. He followed her around and waited patiently for her to be ready to play. He'd sit on her in play, sometimes all I'd see is a tail, but he never hurt her and she always came back for more. Even now he weighs 13 pounds to her 8 and he never hurts her. Pushes her too far sometimes, but she isn't afraid to hiss and swat him when he does. It is very rare that I have to step in and tell him enough. But he's a good cat and listens when I do.

On the other hand, Nightfury disliked Rocket being added to the family and straight up ignored her for a good three months. To this day, nearly three years later, he still seems to tolerate her mostly. He never did more then hiss and go somewhere else though and never has hurt her.

I think in general, adult cats are tolerant and recognize that kittens are kittens. The biggest problem I see with adopting an adult into a home with a kitten is energy level. If the adult is mellow and calm a hyper kitten might be too much for them.

Here are some Link and Rocket photos. I have more videos then photos because those two were everywhere and always active once they did get going. Looking back through photos there are very few photos of Rocket without Link in the background. He really was excited to have a sister.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Cute cats, yeah when I meet the person from craglist I'll ask more about that. She just described him as "youthful" IDK, Lilo does have a lot of energy at times.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is a good chance that this would work out very well, if you do the introductions slowly and carefully. Here are a couple of articles that explain it step by step!

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats

Your kitten is young enough to adapt fairly easily and quickly, AND she has the Home Team Advantage going for her.

As many horrible stories as I have heard about what can happen to cats listed on Craigslist, I would like to know that one of them ended up in a good home!

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is a good chance that this would work out very well, if you do the introductions slowly and carefully. Here are a couple of articles that explain it step by step!

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats

Your kitten is young enough to adapt fairly easily and quickly, AND she has the Home Team Advantage going for her.

As many horrible stories as I have heard about what can happen to cats listed on Craigslist, I would like to know that one of them ended up in a good home!
Oh no, that's so sad to hear about craglist.

Honestly just went to a Pet Supplies Plus and was going to get a new toy for Lilo. And I saw this Brown Tabby cat. He was clearly a bit too overweight and looked so sad. One of the employees there explained that he use to be a feral and was then taken in by a person who then left him to animal control... He was even missing part of his ear due to frost bite or combat with another cat. I asked if I could pet him but as I approached she gave a shutter and I moved away. So sad.

Honestly kinda wana adopt him now. They didn't have much info on him, but they thought he may not get along with other cats let along a kitten. Going to call animal control tomorrow to try and get more information.

IDK, feel really bad for that cat, at the same time I don't want to be a jerk and cancel out on the person from craglist..

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As much as I would love for that cat to find a home, I would be very cautious about bringing him into a home with a kitten. He has spent his life fighting and, if necessary, killing over resources...food, water, safe sleeping spots. Call Animal Control, but keep that in mind. I know it would KILL you if you brought him home and he hurt your baby. And he is actually in a safer place than the Craigslist cat, to tell the truth.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the brown tabby looks like it will need lots of time and attention, and would probably be better off in a home on his own with an experienced cat person. And, he would need access to the outdoors.

It's better that you find little Lilo a friend who has not lived outdoors and only associates good things with other cats.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As much as I would love for that cat to find a home, I would be very cautious about bringing him into a home with a kitten. He has spent his life fighting and, if necessary, killing over resources...food, water, safe sleeping spots. Call Animal Control, but keep that in mind. I know it would KILL you if you brought him home and he hurt your baby. And he is actually in a safer place than the Craigslist cat, to tell the truth.
Yeah, I contacted animal control and haven't gotten an answer, but it'll be tricky. Thanks!

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the brown tabby looks like it will need lots of time and attention, and would probably be better off in a home on his own with an experienced cat person. And, he would need access to the outdoors.

It's better that you find little Lilo a friend who has not lived outdoors and only associates good things with other cats.
Yep will do.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that the Craigslist kitty is most at risk. That said, were it me, I would have no problem adopting both. The Craigslist kitty will most likely adapt quickly and be a ready playmate to Lilo. The former feral will want a quiet place to establish as a base camp and then gradually enlarge territory in ever growing circles. My experience with ferals is that they are very much in tune to clowder politics; they usually ignore kittens or act as dads. The feral will studiously observe the other two kitties interacting with you and use their reactions to form his own opinions and responses. Bless you for caring about home-insecure cats! Whatever your decision, it will make a difference for the better. Please keep us updated! :redcat::runningcat::tabbycat::catlove::happycat: