What Age Is Best To Rehome?

Mamakitty&me

Autumn
Young Cat
Purraise
At what age to kittens stop nursing naturally? Will they nurse forever if they're permitted? I originally assumed i'd wait for them to wean.. but then i realized human babies eat food and nurse sometimes 4-5 years.. far after it's "necessary".. are some kittens the same? Am i waiting for a milestone or week mark to seek families to adopt these beauties?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
10-12 weeks in the best case scenario. It isn't just about weaning, they need to learn how to be a cat from their momma and siblings also. There also comes a point where she may begin to push them away.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they will nurse for a long time if they aren't separated from their mother, so you don't have to wait until they naturally stop nursing.

10-12 weeks is best. 9 weeks would be OK if there's no other option. I don't recommend re-homing before 9 weeks at all; they haven't learned their cat manners yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamakitty&me

Autumn
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks all!!! I dont mind keeping them longer! They've been tons of fun. My husband even playfully suggested keeping them all. I just want to do what's in their best interest.