Wet Foods Similar To Old Cats In The Kitchen Formulas?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there any foods that are similar to the old Cats in the Kitchen canned food formulas, in which the gravy was nice and soupy?

We've recently had a bit of a disaster (well, besides Imelda). Buddy had finally started eating on his own again once we decided to temporarily abandon his allergy diet, and let him have whatever he wanted if he'd just eat. Well, we had some old cans of CITK in our kitty pantry, and he ate those like a little pig! So I ordered some more.

*sigh*

Weruva changed the formula since we bought the last case, and now there's no gravy, even when I warm it like I do when Buddy's sinuses are giving him fits. It's just kinda weird and sticky, and Buddy hates it.

So I've been scrambling to come up with a suitable replacement, and have already struck out with Fussie Cat and Tiki Cat, as Buddy seems to prefer gravy to broth.

Any ideas? Looks like we may have some more rain again next week, so I need to hit the stores and buy whatever I need within the next few days, just in case. :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All I can tell you for certain is that Soulistic, Petco's house brand, is made by the same folks who make Weruva. That being the case, you might take a look at the Soulistic brand and see if they have something similar that Buddy might like. Here is their website so you can see just what they have: Soulistic Pet

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which CITK food were you feeding, cheeser cheeser ? And what was the recipe change!?

We feed a can of CITK each week, too, and I haven't noticed anything, though I don't check labels that consistently. (It's also been my experience that CITK foods can vary a lot with some cans being much, much more gelled than others.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can tell you for certain is that Soulistic, Petco's house brand, is made by the same folks who make Weruva. That being the case, you might take a look at the Soulistic brand and see if they have something similar that Buddy might like. Here is their website so you can see just what they have: Soulistic Pet
Thanks much!

In the past, Buddy hasn't been too keen on Soulistic. But maybe he'll be more enthusiastic now, so I'll swing by Petco tomorrow and give it another try. :)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try these?

Foods That Are Just Gravy Or Soup?
Human Grade Wet Cat Food | Stella & Chewy's

Maybe add those new trendy broths to canned food for a soupy texture?

Have you tried the pouch Weruva and Soulistic foods? Those tend to be very soupy.
To be honest, I thought about giving some old Weruva favorites a try, e.g, Paw Lickin' Chicken, and Peking Ducken. I was just afraid Weruva might have "improved" upon those as well. :wink:

I'm pretty sure I saw the Stella & Chewy's at the holistic store the last time I was there. I'll check when I'm there tomorrow.

Unfortunately, Buddy is real big on first impressions, and has to see me open the can in front of him, let him sniff it, and offer it to him as is on a spoon. So if it's already not to his liking from the get-go, he's usually not likely to accept it later with anything mixed in with it, on top of it, etc. Cats and their weird ideas! :gaah:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which CITK food were you feeding, cheeser cheeser ? And what was the recipe change!?

We feed a can of CITK each week, too, and I haven't noticed anything, though I don't check labels that consistently. (It's also been my experience that CITK foods can vary a lot with some cans being much, much more gelled than others.)
Chicken Frick 'A Zee and Fowl Ball. I compared the old and new formulas, and looks like they just added biotin, calcium lactate, and sodium selenite. They also added tricalcium phosphate to the Fowl Ball.

I had hoped that the weird texture was just a fluke, as I've noticed occasional variations in texture from batch to batch from other brands. So I got some more cans from a different batch, and they were weird and sticky, too. Maybe I just got two weird batches. ;)

I'm glad to hear that you haven't had any problems with the newer formula. That gives me hope. Maybe we've just had a run of bad luck thus far. It's just so frustrating because Buddy had been eating so well, we were already planning to transition him back to his allergy diet. Now between this glitch and last week's weather that traumatized him, some days it almost feels like we're back to square one re: getting him to eat enough on his own. :sigh:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats like canidae chaparrel canyon duck chicken with gravy. High at low card. Also wild fronteir Turkey duck with gravy

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats like canidae chaparrel canyon duck chicken with gravy. High at low card. Also wild fronteir Turkey duck with gravy
Cool. I think one of the holistic stores still carries Canidae. I'll give it a shot. Thanks bunches! :)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chicken Frick 'A Zee and Fowl Ball. I compared the old and new formulas, and looks like they just added biotin, calcium lactate, and sodium selenite. They also added tricalcium phosphate to the Fowl Ball.

I had hoped that the weird texture was just a fluke, as I've noticed occasional variations in texture from batch to batch from other brands. So I got some more cans from a different batch, and they were weird and sticky, too. Maybe I just got two weird batches. ;)

I'm glad to hear that you haven't had any problems with the newer formula. That gives me hope. Maybe we've just had a run of bad luck thus far. It's just so frustrating because Buddy had been eating so well, we were already planning to transition him back to his allergy diet. Now between this glitch and last week's weather that traumatized him, some days it almost feels like we're back to square one re: getting him to eat enough on his own. :sigh:
The weird thing with our cats is that (if anything) they seem to like CITK better than before. I hadn't really thought much of it because, well, you know, cats. :dunno: Creatures of mystery.

I hope you're able to get Buddy back to eating well. Amazing, isn't it, how weather can be so important!?