Wet Food

Selena800

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet told me to stop wet food don’t give to my cats and my kittens my kittens stools was lose so he said give dry food to them and he said stop for the adults also my cats 2 years they eat royal canin wet food my female doesn't eat only dry so im mixing meo creamy treat in her dry it’s one week that im giving them ... he said wet food is not good for health it will be problem in the future is it true??? Im thinking to buy a little bit for kittens they are 2 months old
Im not sure what to do.. I talked to another vet he said I know so many cats are in same diet I don’t know this vet I just asked him ... what is ur suggestion? Can anyone ask their vet and let me know

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet told me wet food is healthier because moisture is very important to their diet. Cats evolved from desert animals and have a very low thirst drive. They get their moisture from the food they eat, and dry food has almost none. Wet food is also less processed, higher in protein and lower in carbs.

If your cats have runny stools, it might be better to feed them a different brand of wet - maybe something in their current food is upsetting their tummies. I hear some plain canned pumpkin also helps.

Many vets are not very educated on nutrition, which can be frustrating.

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't want to claim I know anything that a vet wouldn't, but in my experience, I have never had a vet tell me that wet food is not good for a cat's health. A lot of cat behavior experts (Jackson Galaxy included) say quite the opposite, in fact -- that they would rather you feed the worst wet food on the market over the best dry. That might be a little extreme, but you get the point; wet food is much more rich in nutrients because of the way it's made.

I remember reading that dry food was actually invented due to a meat shortage since it was a way to use less product, and it quickly became the most popular way of preparing pet food on the market. And as KarenKat KarenKat said above, the moisture in wet food helps cats get the hydration they need as well.

I think the only thing I've noticed when feeding my cat exclusively wet food is that it seems to be a little harder to keep their teeth clean. It's important to give them something crunchy to chew on as well, like dental sticks, if you don't brush their teeth so they don't get tarter build up.

Anyway, if your cats are having loose stools, there is definitely wet food available that can help with that, made with probiotics for stomach/digestive issues. Here is a link with wet food available on the market, filtered to show formulas specialized for digestive health:

Digestive Health / Wet Food / Food / Cat - Free shipping at Chewy.com

Good luck!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's important to give them something crunchy to chew on as well, like dental sticks, if you don't brush their teeth so they don't get tarter build up.
What are dental sticks? Can you link me to them please? :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
S Selena800 --I would never tell anyone to go against their vet's advise, but what about a half dry, half canned food diet? That's what I do. My cats can't eat dry food only, they need wet food or they get urinary problems.

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi Sure, here you go! I ordered these for my kitties. They're basically just twigs with catnip for enticement.

I also give them two dental treats a day and add a small amount of pet oral solution to their water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Selena800

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi Sure, here you go! I ordered these for my kitties. They're basically just twigs with catnip for enticement.

I also give them two dental treats a day and add a small amount of pet oral solution to their water.
he said that they will have kidney problems in future im scared I don’t know what to do my cats luv wet food im giving mix wet and dry both royal canin

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your vet said your kitties would have kidney problems in the future from eating wet food? Did he give you a reason as to why that might be? Like does your cat have a medical condition / allergen or anything like that?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet told me wet food is healthier because moisture is very important to their diet. Cats evolved from desert animals and have a very low thirst drive. They get their moisture from the food they eat, and dry food has almost none. Wet food is also less processed, higher in protein and lower in carbs.

If your cats have runny stools, it might be better to feed them a different brand of wet - maybe something in their current food is upsetting their tummies. I hear some plain canned pumpkin also helps.

Many vets are not very educated on nutrition, which can be frustrating.
Sadly, it's true that many vets are clueless re: feline nutrition. Unless your cats have some specific medical issues that require special diets, I highly recommend that you read some of the articles at CatInfo.org, especially this section: Cats Need to Eat Water-Rich Food.

Per Dr. Pierson: "The idea that dry food promotes dental health makes about as much sense as the idea that crunchy cookies would promote dental health in a human."

Trust me, if that worked, I'd have the world's healthiest teeth! :lol:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I'm repeating what everyone else has said, but that is the FIRST time I've EVER heard that wet food is bad and will cause urinary issues. :confused2:I have always known it to be the COMPLETE opposite. IDK, maybe you have a cat with medical problems that I don't know about, where wet would be bad, but again, FIRST TIME EVER.:confused2:
Not trying to be a pessimist or assume the worst, but did your vet want you to buy the "prescription" option dry food for urinary care instead....from him?.....just saying.....:think:I would be shopping for a new vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Selena800

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your vet said your kitties would have kidney problems in the future from eating wet food? Did he give you a reason as to why that might be? Like does your cat have a medical condition / allergen or anything like that?
I know I'm repeating what everyone else has said, but that is the FIRST time I've EVER heard that wet food is bad and will cause urinary issues. :confused2:I have always known it to be the COMPLETE opposite. IDK, maybe you have a cat with medical problems that I don't know about, where wet would be bad, but again, FIRST TIME EVER.:confused2:
Not trying to be a pessimist or assume the worst, but did your vet want you to buy the "prescription" option dry food for urinary care instead....from him?.....just saying.....:think:I would be shopping for a new vet.
No my cats are healthy he said don’t give because in the future it will be problem

Sandy Beach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats is on wet only, the other does mostly wet and some dry. I’ve had too many cats with UTIs on a dry only diet over the years. My advice would be to read as much about feline nutrition as you can, and get a second opinion from another vet.
My vet and I had a very long conversation about nutrition a few months back and he said “You probably know more about pet nutrition than I do because we only took a 2 week crash course on nutrition in school.”
That kinda blew my mind because a healthy diet can prevent so many needless medical issues.
Hope your kitties feel better!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet told me to stop wet food don’t give to my cats and my kittens my kittens stools was lose so he said give dry food to them and he said stop for the adults also my cats 2 years they eat royal canin wet food my female doesn't eat only dry so im mixing meo creamy treat in her dry it’s one week that im giving them ... he said wet food is not good for health it will be problem in the future is it true??? Im thinking to buy a little bit for kittens they are 2 months old
Gotta love vets who don't know a thing about cat nutrition. Find a new vet asap.

loveskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
go with the wet my cat won't touch water even in triple digits but licks tuns water and gravy from canned foods like crazy. Getting her to eat dry is s non starter.

Feed them what they'll eat and evaluate the poddy issues as you go.
tigermug.jpg