Wet food transition among different brands for a kitten.

lucacasa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
New to the forum, I will adopt a 3 months kitten soon from a shelter.
He is now fed with junk dry and wet food, I think both chicken based.
I was planning at least in the beginning to keep a mix of dry and wet food, and see later to transition to only wet and/or raw.
I want to do a bit of clicker training in the first months, mainly for leash training so it would be easier with dry food.
I was planning to transition his dry food to Orijen Kitten, and probably later Ziwi Peak.
I know that I will need a slow transition for his dry junk food during a couple of weeks.
What about changing his wet food? I don't find clear information about need for transitioning.
A lot of posts talk bout adult cat who are fed different wet food every day, but what about a kitten fed with only junk food until now?
Should I make a transition from junk wet food to premium wet food? And for how long?
After this first transition, do I need to introduce each new protein and/or new brand with a transition before changing recipes daily?
Many thanks!
Luca

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Welcome!

Forza 10, Weruva and their associated brands such as Soulistic and B.F.F. , and the Honest Kitchen canned foods, are decent wet foods to consider, although there are others :) .

Pure Cravings and Mouser are a couple of brands that have just hit the market. I personally wish the iodine content was lower in these, and other members have concerns with thickeners such as carageenen (sp?) which aren't typically used in pate style foods but the ones I've mentioned give you a starting point, hopefully without sending you down the rabbit hole of cat food ingredients.

And for how long?
About 7 days, however if the new food is accepted with no trouble at either end (vomiting or diarrhea) it doesn't need to be that long, and yes, every new food needs to be introduced with the same cautious care.

I'm of the thought that the more brands, varieties and even textures you can feed on a regular basis the better, since manufacturers often change recipes and sometimes the cat doesn't like the new version, or a favored food is unavailable or discontinued. Then you have other options and aren't faced with a hungry cat that won't eat anything else because it isn't familiar and comfortable with anything else.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You may want to go slow as higher quality foods can be a bit too rich for a tummy to handle at first. Generally no transition is needed between brands or proteins / varieties.

ZooPlus is a good website to buy food from in Europe. Some US brands are not sold in Europe.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Whoops, missed that you're not in the US, sorry about that, Forza 10 may have a European market, etc.

Last edited:

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
You may want to go slow as higher quality foods can be a bit too rich for a tummy to handle at first. Generally no transition is needed between brands or proteins / varieties.

ZooPlus is a good website to buy food from in Europe. Some US brands are not sold in Europe.
Yes, I think this was my problem when I was searching for wet foods. I went with a lot of super high quality foods and I think it upset their tummies!

We feed ours weruva with tiki cat mousse or fancy feast moshed up into it as for some reason our cats prefer when we mush up their food for them.

When we had first gotten Gracie, we would mix her old dry food with her new and feed it to her to try and help with the transition. She still had bad runs for a bit, so I think that might be semi normal (tho obviously talk to vet if it goes on to long.)

I hear ziwi is a good food. I feed ours Solid Gold dry because it seems to be the only food my cats will hold down but I have some friends who feed ziwi and they love it