Wet food suggestions for picky kitten

Shawna87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! I have an almost 8 month old kitten that’s picky! Lately he’s only been wanting to eat Friskies shreds or pate however I’d prefer to feed him something a little more healthier and aimed for kittens. I’ve tried Tiny Tiger, American Journey, and Sheba and he doesn’t like them. He does like his sisters BFF pate food but it’s not for kittens. I have gotten him some kitten Weruva food but it’s a little pricey and he doesn’t like them as much as the BFF pate. I want it to be a kitten formula since he is not a year old yet. I’d prefer a food that’s healthier but still affordable. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Attachments

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a kitten, but rather a 10-year-old cat who I only switched to wet food a few years ago. It took a long time to figure out what he'd eat. He is currently on Sheba.

I know you mentioned Sheba already as an example of what your cat won't eat. But this just seems to me like one of those things where the answer will be different for every cat... although I only have personal experience with my first and only cat (plus anecdotal stories from family who have cats).

It took a lot of experimentation, not just flavors but textures (pate vs. cuts, etc). I found the best approach was to buy variety packs while experimenting, so I wouldn't waste as much.

Also, I've had to change the food. He might have been fine with one kind for a long time, and then all of the sudden wouldn't eat it.

Let me add this one other detail that might be helpful. Try warming it up. I put my cat's wet food on a small plate, put it in the microwave, and heat it for 5-second increments until it is warm. I check it with my fingers first to make sure it's not too hot. I've gotten my cat to accept wet food more readily when it is warmed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I agree that this is pretty much trial and error, and no matter how many different brands would be suggested here, it is still a matter to trying each and every one out until you find one or two that work for your kitten. Have you compared what this kitten likes vs. the actual kitten foods you've tried - just to see how much of a difference there really is - not just in terms of nutrient content, but things like texture and moisture?

You can always look online for pictures of kitten food that has similar ingredients as well as appearance and test each one out. You can also look for cat foods labeled as all life stages too - just to expand your search.

Lastly, you can try mixing some of the Weruva with the BFF and see if he will eat it that way. It wouldn't be entirely kitten food, but it also wouldn't be as expensive as feeding him 100% Weruva.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine currently likes 4 health from tractor supply that I put an applaws topper on