Wet Food & FIV+ Cat

MsRebeccs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we have 2 cats (Van Gogh & Weenie) we took in at separate times that are FIV+. Both were strays (I never considered them to be feral because they warmed up to us quickly) and were TNR, but that didn’t worone has decided he no longer eats dry food. Other cat eats it without a problem.
Van Gogh is the one that suddenly decided he did not want to eat the dry food. A day after I noticed he wasn’t eating, he was at the vet for a self inflicted wound near his ear. The vet didn’t seem to worried about him not eating the dry food since he was eating the wet food I started to give him.
my question is I have no idea often to feed him & now Weenie who hates wet food til Van Gogh at some. Weenie is still eating the dry food as well it’s just Van Gogh I am worried about. Right now he gets fed in the morning, afternoon, and the a bit before I got to bed (depends on his crying for food)

sorry for the long and babbling post

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He needs his teeth checked. With the not eating dry food and the scratching at his face he may have dental problems. FIV can cause tooth and gum problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MsRebeccs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When he was at the vet she did check his teeth ( I was thinking it was that) she said they looked fine. His wound ended up being from him trying to scratch his ear. He had an ear infection, which I was thinking once it cleared up he would go back to eating the dry food which he hasn’t. I’m just worried he isn’t getting enough food

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How much to feed is based on calories. So depending on how much he should weight depends on how much you should feed him. Let's say his ideal weight is 10 pounds. The average cat should eat approx 20 - 25 calories per pound per day, so that would be 10 (pounds of ideal weight) times 20 or 200 calories at the low end if he's not very active, or 250 calories if he's somewhat active. Now if he's extremely active, you can go even higher. So now you need to look at whatever you are feeding him and see how many calories are in the cans. Split the calories over how ever many meals you want. Three is great! That's what I feed.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Following due to I suspect 2 of my cats having it and one refusing to eat, yes their going to vet once I have money, sorry I have no advice i hope for the best