We're Moving!

Vikki33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm moving from an apartment into a house. I'm nervous about helping my 2 girls get adjusted as this is the only place they've lived (ones a little over a year old and the other is 8 months) any tips to make the move go smoothly for the girls??

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am curious about this too - we will be moving house soon(-ish).

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi guys, just a check, is the house ready for moving in as in not immediately but there’s a few days to spare before moving in?

If there is, just bring some of your kitties belongings like the towels your kitties has been sleeping on, toys, rugs, litter form the litter boxes or anything that has your kitties scents on them. Also a few pieces of your used clean clothings and Place them all around the house so that the cat’s scents and human scents are all around.

As with new houses, there maybe a freshly painted coat of paint or other smells of new stuffs that are not familiar with your kitties. By bringing the stuffs over first is to create an environment with familiar scents so that your kitties feels at home and they don’t feel threatened in a new environment and surroundings.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What about creating a safe room for them and keeping them confined for a little bit - or just let them have the run of the house?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would set up a safe room just for the cats and let them settle in there until they are ready to explore the rest of the house. Especially if you plan to move furniture and belongings into the home at the same time as the cats. Put the cats into the room with everything they need first, close the door, and put a big sign on the door informing everyone that the cats are inside and to NOT open the door. You don't want to risk a scared cat bolting and escaping as furniture and belongings are carried in through the front door.

You can plug a Feliway diffuser in the room to help calm the cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vikki33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah I want them to have full run of the house, I just want to make sure they're not too scared at first

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I moved apartments over the summer. I kept Saipha and Mishka in the bathroom of my old apartment while the movers were hauling everything into the truck. Once all the bedroom furniture was moved into my new place, I put down some things with their scents - rugs, their scratchers, toys, blankets - and then brought them into the bedroom (safe room). They mostly hid under the bed for a day or two, but once they were comfortable in their safe room and I'd mostly unpacked and cat-proofed the rest of the apartment, I started leaving the door open and let them explore the rest of the place at their own pace. They claimed the rest of their new territory within a week.

If possible, make their safe room a bedroom and not a bathroom, especially if they're used to sleeping with you. That way, you can spend time with them more easily and their routine is less disrupted. They may lose their appetite for a few days, so stock up on some favorite foods and treats. Overall, try to keep things quiet and let them adjust and explore at the pace that they're comfortable with.

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm moving from an apartment into a house. I'm nervous about helping my 2 girls get adjusted as this is the only place they've lived (ones a little over a year old and the other is 8 months) any tips to make the move go smoothly for the girls??