Weird stuff on my Cat's face

dandelion22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Twice over the past year I have seen a squiggle of a dark yellow substance going down my cat's nose. It isn't coming from inside her nose, but looks like it got squirted on the area between her eyes. I have been trying to find out how it got there. It was awfully smelly, too. I wondered if she somehow expressed the contents of her anal sacs, or those of her sister?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A cat is capable of 'spraying' anal gland secretions, somewhat similar to a skunk, due to extreme stress/fear. I know from your other thread, there are some issues between your two cats, but to evoke that kind of fear/stress with two cats that live with each other, it seems it would likely be happening more often than just twice over a year's time. If you can go back and think about events leading up to when you found this smelly stuff, maybe you can pinpoint related, but hopefully isolated, incidents.

I'd suggest you have the 'spraying' cat checked over by a vet as there could be an issue going on with her anal glands, and maybe this has happened more often that you think and just not in the other cat's face. To be sure it is anal gland secretions, you can always collect it - if it happens again - and take it to your vet as they probably can tell you if that is what it is. You might need to call them and ask if you need to do something to 'preserve' the sampling if you can't get it to the vets right away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dandelion22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A cat is capable of 'spraying' anal gland secretions, somewhat similar to a skunk, due to extreme stress/fear. I know from your other thread, there are some issues between your two cats, but to evoke that kind of fear/stress with two cats that live with each other, it seems it would likely be happening more often than just twice over a year's time. If you can go back and think about events leading up to when you found this smelly stuff, maybe you can pinpoint related, but hopefully isolated, incidents.

I'd suggest you have the 'spraying' cat checked over by a vet as there could be an issue going on with her anal glands, and maybe this has happened more often that you think and just not in the other cat's face. To be sure it is anal gland secretions, you can always collect it - if it happens again - and take it to your vet as they probably can tell you if that is what it is. You might need to call them and ask if you need to do something to 'preserve' the sampling if you can't get it to the vets right away.
Thanks! Btw, the issues between the two cats has diminished drastically, and there aren't any extremely stressful situations going on that I can see, and I am home all the time. I have also noticed that the one cat's stool is very smelly and mushy, so some issue with gut flora might be going on as well. I will be bringing this up with the vet at her next visit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dandelion22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am currently considering re-homing one of them, due to ongoing bullying issues.