Weird Kitten??

juneboon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
PLEASE READ ALL!! I need help.

Soooo my outside cat had a litter of kittens like 13-14 weeks ago (ugh, I know, should have gotten her fixed).... anyways all was well & she had her kittens under the house. Well, it’s super hot, so my husband grabbed all (or so he thought) of them & put them in our add on with a fan. Well that lasted like a week & momma cat moved babies back. The whole time there were only 4 kittens we could see. They would come out & play, eat, even now. Well 3 days ago a 5th kitten (all black like momma) appeared... a lot smaller, broken paw (or maybe deformed), scrawny, & MOMMA CAT ATTACKS IT! :(

My questions:
1) could this be a runt?? If so, why is this the LEAST skittish & just now (13-14 weeks) making its big debut?
2) why won’t my momma cat let it eat the food I put out in peace:( I feel so bad. We are trying to catch them but having a hard time.

I’m just super confused about this situation obviously. First time car owner here.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats who are intact and roam freely can get pregnant by multiple males during the same pregnancy. Unfortunately they give birth to them all at the same time. So he could have just been smaller and underdeveloped when he was born, in other words, not really ready to be born. But if you moved the litter already and momma moved them back outside (btw she should NOT have access to outside until she is fixed as she can get pregnant almost right away after birth, so keep them all inside! No buts!) and this kitten just showed up now I wonder if an abandoned kitten just showed up and joined the family? Seems strange. Seems unlikely also but never know. Momma cat could be attacking it because it is sickly.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also at 14 weeks the kittens are getting closer and closer every day to being able to impregnate each other and their own mother, still a few weeks away but something to be aware of...

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
J juneboon : Hello and welcome to TCS. The 5th kitten could be a runt. But also could be a stray from another mama cat.

Since you are having trouble catching them, I take it you haven't been able to get them socialized.

What about mama? Can you handle her? Can you get her spayed asap, as she could get pregnant again at any time.

Also, as jen jen mentioned, the kittens are quickly maturing, and if you don't get them neutered/spayed soon, you'll quickly be overrun by kittens.

Here's a couple articles with more info:
Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats
When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat?

I know it'll be costly to spay/neuter all of them, so maybe check your area for low cost spay/neuter clinics.

Here's a site that might be helpful: Low cost spay and neuter services | SpayUSA | Animal League