Weird Behavior

indyandstella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female cat (1.5 years) is usually very independent and prefers to be by herself most of the time. I recently got a male kitten who is now 3.5 months old. Stella (female) did not accept him (Indy) at first, but they started to get along after a while. My family and I went on vacation for a week and when we came back we noticed a change in her behavior. She does not hiss at Indy or throw him off of her anymore, but she also is cuddling with people (not like herself) and is constantly asking for attention. She also started making little coughing noises every once in a while. I am just a worried cat owner and would like to get some other cat people opinions on what’s wrong. Thanks!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitten that she is on good terms with and licks + increased shedding during summer = hairballs = coughing. Nothing abnormal most likely - they just worked through their issues and are getting along better. Now that she isn't stressed by the kitten anymore, she can interact with others more easily too.

If you doubt its a hairball-related cough, take to the vet. An actual hairball is not produced every time with the cough. But if the coughing is frequent and you never see hairballs, then maybe its an illness of some kind and a vet visit might be in order. Doubt it, but possible. Best guess, this is a purely good thing. Except for the fact that you'll likely be cleaning up hairballs sooner or later.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Were the cats boarded while you were on vacation? Or did someone come into your home to check on them?

Is your female cat spayed?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the coughing continues, have a x-ray the next time you bring her in to check her heart. A cough can indicate and abnormality, but i have had several cats on medications for years with no further problems. Is she actually coughing, with neck stretched out and using her whole body, or more like a cry or call. Many females call their kittens with a strange sound too. i used to run every time I heard my Chrissy call her imaginary kittens when she brought them a toy, it was the weirdest sound!