Weight Gainers

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking of trying a weight gainer, since it's been very difficult for me to gain weight just through eating. Is it a good idea, and any recommendations?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have any advice, never had this problem. From about 35 on it seems like just looking at anything that has a lot of calories in it is enough for me to gain 5 pounds. Since puberty on I have not been the type who seemed to be able to eat anything. Even when I was younger I still had to watch what I ate.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This might sound like a weird question...but what exactly are you trying to accomplish when it comes to "gaining weight"?

Adding a weight gainer to your diet is just a calorie and protein dense supplement. However, if you aren't properly exercising to utilize those extra nutrients, and don't follow a proper diet aimed to help with healthy weight gain, it won't do much and could just turn into unhealthy belly fat as well as create and deposit fat in "unfavorable" areas.
Other than just eating more...what else have you tried? And what exactly do you eat?
Do you have a weight training exercise program that you follow?
Do you do too much cardio based exercises?
Have you been to a doctor to see if there may be a medical reason as to why you are underweight?
Have you considered seeing a dietician to help create a proper meal plan for you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not a weird question. Basically, I've been underweight my entire life. I've never even hit *90*. Aside from wanting to look healthier, I also think my joint pain is partially caused by the lack of fat. Cold bothers me very much.

I've tried Ensure, which was fine until I made myself sick from it. Lately, I've been eating a lot of protein-rich foods, like peanut butter, beans, and McDonald's for lunch at work. In the past several months, I've started slowly gaining weight again after at least a decade and half of nothing.

I think the real problem is that my metabolism is too fast. My body, at least until recently, has never been able to hold on to much fat. I know some people would envy me for that, but it's really just a big problem.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually I have read that it is harder for underweight people to gain weight then it is for people to lose weight. Those of us that have the opposite problem are just envious that is all.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you weight train? (lift weights).
Like I mentioned before, building muscle mass is extremely important to encourage weight gain. The joint pain could also be due to weakened and unbalanced muscles that aren't capable of supporting your frame.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you weight train? (lift weights).
Like I mentioned before, building muscle mass is extremely important to encourage weight gain. The joint pain could also be due to weakened and unbalanced muscles that aren't capable of supporting your frame.
No, I have deteriorating vertebrae. One is already ruptured. I have to be extremely careful with my back.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DS was underweight for a while. The doctor recommended the PediaSures. We've had better success with protein bars and making his afternoon snack almost a meal. A friend's son has a condition that requires him to eat almost twice as many calories as most kids so we chatted about ways to sneak calories in. But it can still be hard. It's not like kids can weight train like that. I wonder if there is some kind of exercise that is safer for your back but builds muscle. Has your doctor mentioned anything about that? Or a physical therapist maybe? I'm curious because it could help DS too.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This wasn't on my mind the last time I saw my doctor, and I don't see her again until next year. I'm considering a nutritionist, though.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just be careful about finding the right nutritionist. It might be better to seek out a Dietitian. Although both can help with creating a diet for you, Dietitians are regulated and certified to treat medical conditions, and can even diagnose. Nutritionists don't need certification to practice and aren't regulated/governed, so if you choose the nutritionist route, check them out to make sure they have training and are certified and not just consultants or someone who took a weekend course on "good nutrition".

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Idk how much muscle you'd build up with swimming, but it's a good exercise for people with weak bones and joints because so much weight is supported. Pre-covid my dad was doing water running when he'd injured his leg.

Make sure you cook in fats like oil and butter if you're not. That may help