Weight Discrepancy Between Possible Littermates?

Maryannedoll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two foster kittens that are approximately 7-8 weeks old and they were brought in to the shelter with 5 other kittens that have identical markings and color but some of them weigh as little as 12 ounces and others weigh 1 pound 8 ounces with the largest being 2 pounds 5 ounces. Is it possible that they could all be litter mates?

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Everything is possible. As size is in part individual, especielly in non purebred litters whom consists of a broad spectrum of genes.
But also, somebody else took two different litters together. If they are from a hoarding situation, or barncats, they will easily have similiar coloring... And be several litters at the same time. Who knows, one momma could take kittens from another litter.
I see all are gray, but some has white spots.
Is there a difference? White spots both biggies and smallish? Or white spots just one of these?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, it’s definitely possible. Litters will often have some kittens who are bigger, and smaller kittens. It seems like the difference may be just more pronounced with this group.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The smaller ones may have been pushed away wwhen they were weaker newborns, Their little faces look much thinner too. They also look like they all contracted feline herpes virus, kiity colds, and it may have hit them harder. I would concentrate on making sure they are fed more and more more often. You will be blessed for taking them in, thank you.....