week old runt kitten !

Status
Not open for further replies.

armejy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat gave birth to 3 kittens on the 21st of February but she immediately rejected one of them and completely ignored it when I showed it to her. After multiple failed attempts to reunite them, I took the baby and I've been keeping her in a brooder (like Kitten Lady does), feeding her kitten milk replacement every 2 hours, stimulating her after meals and weighing her. She weighed 79 grams when i got her and she's at 128 grams today (7 days later). She isn't gaining the recommended 10 grams per day, but she also isn't losing any weight. She also seems healthy otherwise, she responds to touch, vocalises when she's hungry and suckles quite well. Her mom is also quite a small cat so I don't know if i should be concerned about the baby's weight gain. I'm only 15 years old so I don't want to take the kitten to the vet unless it's an emergency (which i don't think it is, as she seems healthy otherwise). Please help !

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

armejy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat gave birth to 3 kittens on the 21st of February but she immediately rejected one of them and completely ignored it when I showed it to her. After multiple failed attempts to reunite them, I took the baby and I've been keeping her in a brooder (like Kitten Lady does), feeding her kitten milk replacement every 2 hours, stimulating her after meals and weighing her. She weighed 79 grams when i got her and she's at 128 grams today (7 days later). She isn't gaining the recommended 10 grams per day, but she also isn't losing any weight. She also seems healthy otherwise, she responds to touch, vocalises when she's hungry and suckles quite well. Her mom is also quite a small cat so I don't know if i should be concerned about the baby's weight gain. I'm only 15 years old so I don't want to take the kitten to the vet unless it's an emergency (which i don't think it is, as she seems healthy otherwise). Please help !
I also want to add that the kitten is the runt of the litter, both her siblings were 30/40 grams heavier than her when i weighed them on day 4. Also, I've successfully raised 2 other abandoned kittens since they were 2 weeks old so I've gotten the hang of feeding and stimulating them by now. I'll attach a photo of these kittens. They're 7 weeks old now.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In average its exactly 10 gramnes a day. Do you mean she has stopped gaining?

armejy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In average its exactly 10 gramnes a day. Do you mean she has stopped gaining?
No, she's just gaining weight slowly. Some days she gains more than others, today she only gained 6 grams. I just don't know if it's normal for runts to gain weight slower than what's recommended, or if I should be concerned

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Six grams is okay for a runt. Have you tried putting her back with mom to see if she’ll nurse and if mom will accept her now?

It sounds like you are doing a great job!

armejy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Six grams is okay for a runt. Have you tried putting her back with mom to see if she’ll nurse and if mom will accept her now?

It sounds like you are doing a great job!
I've tried quite a few times but the mom just acts like she doesn't even see her, so I'm going to continue raising her. Also, thank you so much!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, she's just gaining weight slowly. Some days she gains more than others, today she only gained 6 grams. I just don't know if it's normal for runts to gain weight slower than what's recommended, or if I should be concerned
6 gram as minimum is much OK, esp as she some days gains more. It it were barely 6g many days running, this could be worrisome.

I have seen prematures whom gained well over 10g a day, so it may happen.
But if a smallish infant, born lightweight, gains less than the champs, is gaining a more normal 6-10, it should be OK. The total average IS after all a fully plausible 10; exactly what we recommend as a sound minimum.

Its very good you are watching as a hawk, but as I understand it, you are doing an excellent job, and your chargees too!

armejy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
6 gram as minimum is much OK, esp as she some days gains more. It it were barely 6g many days running, this could be worrisome.

I have seen prematures whom gained well over 10g a day, so it may happen.
But if a smallish infant, born lightweight, gains less than the champs, is gaining a more normal 6-10, it should be OK. The total average IS after all a fully plausible 10; exactly what we recommend as a sound minimum.

Its very good you are watching as a hawk, but as I understand it, you are doing an excellent job, and your chargees too!
Thank you so much !

armejy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 8 day old kitten was diagnosed with aspiration pneumonia today. The vet gave her intravenous antibiotics and subcutaneous fluids, and she has to go back tomorrow morning for a checkup and more medicine. How often should I feed her while she's at home ? The vet gave me a special syringe and explained how, but I don't want her to aspirate again. Please help !

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She still needs to be fed at least every three hours. Make sure she is tummy down (VERY important) and the syringe goes into the side of her mouth. Just a drop at a time, unless she nurses it herself. You might Google The Kitten Lady on the internet. She takes care of very sick kittens and has saved countless. She will need lots of humidity, take her into a steamy bathroom a couple of times a day for 30 minutes or run a humidifier near her. Make sure she is kept very warm, cold kittens will not eat. A K&H heated cat pad is wonderful, just make sure it has a blanket between her and the pad, and she has room to wiggle off if she gets too hot. Please keep us posted on how she is doing! There have been MANY kittens that have aspirated and recovered, so don't give up!

armejy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She still needs to be fed at least every three hours. Make sure she is tummy down (VERY important) and the syringe goes into the side of her mouth. Just a drop at a time, unless she nurses it herself. You might Google The Kitten Lady on the internet. She takes care of very sick kittens and has saved countless. She will need lots of humidity, take her into a steamy bathroom a couple of times a day for 30 minutes or run a humidifier near her. Make sure she is kept very warm, cold kittens will not eat. A K&H heated cat pad is wonderful, just make sure it has a blanket between her and the pad, and she has room to wiggle off if she gets too hot. Please keep us posted on how she is doing! There have been MANY kittens that have aspirated and recovered, so don't give up!
Thank you, I tried my best and kept her in a warm brooder with some blankets, but sadly she just passed away.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so, so sorry......bless you for helping her and giving her some love. RIP little girl. You will be always remembered, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im sorry. Pneumonia in kittens is always serious. Its the most common cause for death of healthy born infants. Often you leave them warm and comfy in the evening, and they are cold and dead in the morning, or when you return home from school or work.

YOU and this excellent vet gave the little one the best practical chance to perhaps survive. You took her to a good vet, and the vet gave massive antibiotica, and fluids... Just so. Not all vets do such...
But it was in wain....
Your conscience is completely free, and the little ones soul may thus rest in peace, knowing she got all the help there was to get...

I hope you will have the strengh to take care of more orphans in need of a good fosterhome. You know also a very good vet.
Warm hugs!

A armejy

armejy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im sorry. Pneumonia in kittens is always serious. Its the most common cause for death of healthy born infants. Often you leave them warm and comfy in the evening, and they are cold and dead in the morning, or when you return home from school or work.

YOU and this excellent vet gave the little one the best practical chance to perhaps survive. You took her to a good vet, and the vet gave massive antibiotica, and fluids... Just so. Not all vets do such...
But it was in wain....
Your conscience is completely free, and the little ones soul may thus rest in peace, knowing she got all the help there was to get...

I hope you will have the strengh to take care of more orphans in need of a good fosterhome. You know also a very good vet.
Warm hugs!

A armejy
Thank you for your kind words. And yes, my vet is absolutely amazing, she is always friendly and she didn't even charge a consultation fee for this kitten. I know that I tried everything to save her, and at least she passed comfortably.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
On behalf of the site team, I'm so very sorry for your loss. :hugs: Threads are closed after such a loss as a sign of respect. When you feel up to it please consider starting a memorial thread in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Rest in peace little one. :rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.