Wednesday's Question of the Day: your computer(s)

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning all!

How many computers do you use? How long do you normally use a computer before replacing it?

We keep using electronics until they die. I have to buy a new laptop now, though. I'm not too happy about it but have to give mine to our daughter (she was using a second-hand MacBook Pro with messed-up wifi connection that couldn't be fixed, and the whole thing finally croaked).

I like my 13" MacBook - it was a surprise Christmas gift from my husband in 2009 - and I am not looking forward to transferring a lot of important stuff I have on it!

I also have a work-dedicated 15" MacBook Pro that was bought (but not used) about a year before I took on the job, so it's about two years old. It weighs six pounds and I'm glad I don't have to travel with that heavy thing.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, since hubby is a computer :geek: we have a few different tablets, laptops and one computer desktop. I have a laptop and an Ipad. I don't use the Ipad much. Only the desktop and laptop. I don't pay much attention to what kind they are. :lol3: I just use them. I know that the laptop is a Viewsonic Dell. We do keep them until they are pretty much obsolete or if Larry gets one from work. He can pretty much fix any computer though and keeps them running good. I don't know what I would do without him because I know absolutely ZERO about how computers run. :D

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have one desktop and I have a kindle fire.  DH and I both have the regular kindle e-reader too; but I don't like them for web browsing.  We also keep things till they are about dead or just really outdated.  I think our last 2 computers (we used to keep 2 desktops, when we had space for an office) about 7 years each.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I tend to use my computers til they bite the dust or get really close to it.

We have two Dell desktops; mine is four years old and Rick's is probably close to 6-7 years now, I'd think. Also a small laptop that my BIL did for us.....I have no idea what brand names are in that thing (works beautifully though!). And my Nook tablet, although I don't really use my Nook to get online that much; it's really for reading and some game-playing. We do our Droid X phones to get online from time to time, although Rick does more so than I do.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have two laptops and my phone, one laptop is nearly dead though I have my new shiney one which I totally love!! I also have my phone which I use to

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, since hubby is a computer
we have a few different tablets, laptops and one computer desktop. I have a laptop and an Ipad. I don't use the Ipad much. Only the desktop and laptop. I don't pay much attention to what kind they are.
I just use them. I know that the laptop is a Viewsonic Dell. We do keep them until they are pretty much obsolete or if Larry gets one from work. He can pretty much fix any computer though and keeps them running good. I don't know what I would do without him because I know absolutely ZERO about how computers run.
LOL.  Mine's a geek too! 

The desktop I use (kids call it the dinosaur) dh made maybe 9 years ago.  It still works.  I get email, can look at web pages etc.  Quicken still works on it, and that's what we use to keep track of finances.  There's another desktop he made from parts the neighbor next door gave us.  He came back from an Iraq deployment, someone had this old case so dh got an old hard drive etc.  That was 5 years ago, when we had kids complaining about having to share computers.  And it has the current version of iTunes on it.  And a whole bunch of iTunes songs.

We have a laptop from '07.  Dd uses it for school stuff. And she's able to stream shows from ABC family she likes on it (not my favorite shows- but she's 16 and a good kid)

ODD got a netbook last year for graduation.  I felt kind of guilty letting her buy a new one.  But, she had money from graduation.  And I don't know if the laptop would have been able to do all of the stuff she does in college.  And it's a whole lot bigger than the netbook, something to keep in mind when you're sharing a room that's about the same size as your room at home.

So yeah- we keep electronics until they die. 

I have a kindle.  Everyone has a smartphone.  Which if my kids were younger they would NOT have- but since I've got a college kid and a sophomore in HS- I'm ok with the smartphone thing.  Kids both have iPods. 

Cheryl

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We have three laptops - one is about 10 years old and strictly a back-up - and my phone.We generally use them for several years. The old laptop was semi-retired when it proved to be incompatible with new software I needed for work and its sound wasn't up to DH's standards (he writes/adapts music as a hobby).

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one Dell desktop computer which I love and I've had it since Dec. 2006 so it is old.  I cannot afford another at this time and will probably kill it before I purchase another one.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 1 desk top and 1 notebook.

I tend to use a computer until it breaks.  My first computer that I bought in March 2000 was a complete lemon and I had it gutted and the insides replaced after a year. I used that computer until January 2007 when it just died.

The computer I replaced it with died in October last year and I replaced it with the desk top that I have now.

Also between 2003 and 2006 I had a laptop. It died after 18 months of use. I didn't much like it anyway. I couldn't get used to the keyboard. It was too flat for me.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Aaron's profession s also computers. :). We use them u til they die and then Aaron will try to repair if possible. He has a closet full of computer parts since he helps a lot of people with their computers. :lol3: I have a desktop and an IPad. Aaron has a desktop and a work laptop. Tere are also a few other old desktops that are stowed away.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 2 laptops  1 big and 1 small apple computers. The small one needs another power cord right now so it's not in use and this big one needs a flash player put on it so I can play more Facebook games.

dejolane

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just have my desktop computer. My computer is custom built (tower is pink and black 
), so I never need to replace the whole thing. I just upgrade/replace parts as I need to. Much cheaper.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Kind of off-topic, but I was thinking about the very first computer I ever had. It was an Acer, locally purchased from a computer geek in town (who was also my math-science teacher when I was in 8th grade). It didn't even have a hard drive like we're used to today. It had two 5.25-inch floppy drives, one you used for putting in the program you were using (WordPerfect, for example) and the other drive was for a floppy that you used to store your stuff on. And a Citizens dot-matrix color printer. Thinking back, it was amazing how much you could really do with those computers; I did my first cookbook on that computer and using that old dot-matrix printer. Didn't look too bad on the whole. We used it for quite a while and then bought a computer with a 40 mb hard drive. 40 mb!!!! And Windows 3.11! 
 Good grief!