Weather too hot for cat, at a loss!

sushicat123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a stray cat who I took in a few weeks ago, all going okay but he's still very nervous and stays in his safe place. He is allowed free roam of the house but is more comfortable where he is. The issue is, in England we are currently having a heat wave and it is reaching temps of 29 degrees celcius (84 degrees f) in the room where he spends all his time. I'm very worried about this as from what I can see, that is too hot for him. This is the 2nd day of the heat wave and it's meant to last another 4 days. I just cannot get my room cooler and I don't know what to do.

I've got cool mats, tried frozen bottles and treats, running water to get him drinking, fan blowing over ice, keeping all windows closed and black out blinds, fan aimed at open windows, using air vents in the bathroom to try and take away some heat... nothing helps and it actually gets hotter in the room further into the night.. currently is it 28 in there and 19 outdoors, it's 2.30am. I do not have air con as we're in England.

He seems okay, he's been using the mats but has not really eaten today so I'm worried he's not going to be getting enough water. Unfortunately I also can't move him to a cooler room, as the cooler 'room' is downstairs but it is all open plan and he'll just go back up. I've looked into dehumidifiers but you need an outlet hose and I can't leave the window open as he'll try to run off. I don't know what to do, does anyone have any advice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sushicat123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You seem to be doing most everything possible. Did I overlook putting an ice cube in his drinking water? That might help as well. TRY TRY TRY to lure him down into the cooler area...perhaps a box that he could retreat to?
Yep I've done that too but didn't mention it! He just came down to the cooler room very briefly then retreated back upstairs and is yowling (not uncommon for him as he was only neutered a few days ago and still howls). But he did just eat some food too. hopefully he will realise the difference in temperature and come down whilst I'm asleep, I'm so worried that each day he'll find it more difficult to cope

sushicat123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep I've done that too but didn't mention it! He just came down to the cooler room very briefly then retreated back upstairs and is yowling (not uncommon for him as he was only neutered a few days ago and still howls). But he did just eat some food too. hopefully he will realise the difference in temperature and come down whilst I'm asleep, I'm so worried that each day he'll find it more difficult to cope

also may be worth mentioning he is super duper nervous, if I go near him he hisses and growls and I don't want to stress him out by trying to interviene and have him get even warmer 😫

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that you say your cat is skittish and uncooperative but, if you can get hold of him without stressing him out, wipe him down with a wet towel.

Get a washcloth or face towel, soak it with cool water and wring it out. Wipe him down with it so that his fur is moist but not soaking wet.

The water will evaporate and help cool him off, a little bit.

Beyond that, keep doing the things you have been doing. :)

Years ago, I used to have a cat that liked to play with ice cubes when the weather was hot.
I would put an ice cube down on the linoleum floor in the kitchen and he would bat it around and watch it go sailing across the room.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If touching him stresses him, put a damp to wet towel in his favored area. Recently, I've seen pictures of bob cats and mountain lions going out of their way to lie on damp or wet ground.

Everything you are doing is good. The only thing else I can think to add is to hang wet sheets around the house. This helps with the cooling. You don't want to hang them where they move or flap as that may frighten the cat.

Mostly right now, he should move as little as possible.

sushicat123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know that you say your cat is skittish and uncooperative but, if you can get hold of him without stressing him out, wipe him down with a wet towel.

Get a washcloth or face towel, soak it with cool water and wring it out. Wipe him down with it so that his fur is moist but not soaking wet.

The water will evaporate and help cool him off, a little bit.

Beyond that, keep doing the things you have been doing. :)

Years ago, I used to have a cat that liked to play with ice cubes when the weather was hot.
I would put an ice cube down on the linoleum floor in the kitchen and he would bat it around and watch it go sailing across the room.
Oh he goes absolutely nuts if I go near him and he pants if he's caught so I won't risk it, but I've left a wet towel next to him for him to use if he wants too. He still seems okay, just staying still and not doing a whole lot understandably! My other 2 are interested in the ice cubes though!

sushicat123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If touching him stresses him, put a damp to wet towel in his favored area. Recently, I've seen pictures of bob cats and mountain lions going out of their way to lie on damp or wet ground.

Everything you are doing is good. The only thing else I can think to add is to hang wet sheets around the house. This helps with the cooling. You don't want to hang them where they move or flap as that may frighten the cat.

Mostly right now, he should move as little as possible.
Thank you! I've put a wet towel in his area now so hopefully he will make use of it. I'll see if I can make the wet sheet idea work!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're doing great! I live in Texas, USA and 84ºF is cool for us. If you have a wood floor or tile, he will find the cool spots. Closing blinds can also help reduce the heat in a room if it gets direct sunshine. You can leave blinds up about 6" so he can see out. He will be perfectly fine.