Weaning Tips/methods

Aimee4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!
I have two kittens that I have been rearing since they were approx 3 days old they are now 32 days old,so just past the 4 week mark.
I've been starting to try and wean them but wondered if anyone had some good tips that have been successful for you?
I've been following a lady called 'kitten lady on social media and she makes it look so easy!
What I have been doing currently is slowly adding a bit of kitten wet food to their KMR (blended smooth) and feeding that from the bottle so they get to know the taste.
I've been gradually upping the meat content in the mixture to the point where it's probably 80% wet food and less formula.
The trouble I'm having is getting the kittens from the bottle to a dish!
Throughout the thickening of the mixture I have tried putting some mixture on a plate to see of they have any interest.
Boo has seemed slightly more interested than Albus and she has started lapping a little from a plate but after a minute loses interest and walk off so I feed with the bottle once she's lost interest I the plate.
Albus on the other hand is a greedy kitten but just doesn't understand the plate at all! I place him next to it and put mixture on my hand and he will lick it off but that's as far as he will go so only bottle feeding him.
Is there a better way to be doing this or are they just taking their time and I should continue persisting till they are ready?

Thank you (sorry for long post!)

will upload photos just cause they are adorable!!
BOO ❤
IMG_20170819_211613.jpg

ALBUS ❤
IMG_20170819_211306.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aimee4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
also meant to mention they now chew on the bottle loads while feeding

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens tend to wean best and without much effort on your part when they are ready, which is usually between 5 and 6 weeks old.

Give it another few days to a week and then introduce them to soft food again on a flat plate they can walk on if necessary. Kittens are very messy when first learning!

They will easily learn to lap their formula from a dish when they are ready too.

They are very close to ready when they begin chewing on the nipples. Just give it a little more time.

They are so cute! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aimee4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Sarthur2 Sarthur2 ! Since i wrote the post this morning I warmed a little wet food on a plate and they both started lapping it up! So ill keep putting a little on the plate for them to eat but supplement with the bottle to make sure they're getting enough.