Weaning Kittens From Their Mother

Megan.Mazz0327

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are proud parents of six 5 week old kittens today and I am wanting to start to wean them from their mother. I have never had kittens before, and I do not know the full process as to what and how to wean the kittens from their mother. I gave them milk replacement tonight and a bit of wet kitten food. Four out of the six started to eat but the other two did not, I also do not know how long I need to keep the mother separated from them during this transition process.. we have not gotten a litter box for them but will be getting one tomorrow.

Any advice or knowledge would be helpful.

Beaglelover1980

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, i would slowly ween them off dont fully take them away from momma she will let them know when she doesnt want to feed them anymore kittens abd puppies need to be with their mommas till they are at least 8 weeks old so momma can teach them the necessary things they need to know. I would gradually ween them off of her try offering them some dry kitten food and soak it in goats milk it will soften it up for them and they can chew it and wont choke. Do you have pictures? I love seeing kitty pics they are so adorable. With my vets permission i feed my cat goats milk everyday with a vitamin e supplement(its very good for skin and fur). Keep us posted on the progress. Its nice to meet you fellow feline lover

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They are too young to be weaned from Mom. Please return them and let them stay with Mom until they are at least 8 weeks old but ideally 12 weeks old. This is the time where the kittens learn to cat and taking them away this young rob's them of that. There are several behavioral problems that can arise from kittens being taken too young from mom. Their mom will wean when it is time naturally and without human intervention.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I totally agree with Kieka. The kittens are much too young to be weaned and separated from their mother. They need to stay with her ideally for 12 weeks.

Learning to eat soft food is part of weaning, but most kittens continue to nurse mom for several more weeks in addition to eating soft food and kitten chow.

Here is a helpful article:

Kitten Development Stages - Illustrated Guide

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep them with her until at minimum 8 weeks, ideally 12. You have the momma on kitten chow right? If there is a large bowl of it out for her to eat whenever she wants, she will eventually show the babies how to eat it and transition them on her own. If they are approaching 8 weeks and still haven't you can offer wet kitten food if you like.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The mom will naturally stop producing as much milk to wean her kittens. Normally the kittens will just start trying the moms food when they see her eating it. With my most recent litter, I took some of the wet food and spread it on their mouth. When they licked it and realized it’s good, they began to eat more. Then I just left it completely alone and now they are all eating mostly wet food and still drink from Mom occasionally. You can do that if you want, but it’s not really necessary.

It’s a natural process that is controlled by the mother cat. Let her wean the kittens and you just offer wet food or a kmr/food slurry and eventually they will get it! Don’t take Mom away, because even when she is done weaning, she needs to teach them valuable lessons until they are 8-12 weeks old. A kitten without their mother won’t learn manners (like not to bite)!