Weaning IBD cat off Prednisolone, symptoms coming back

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its really grown in popularity for treatment of ibs/ibd. I can see why as your basically replacing the powerhouse of the digestive tract. Price wise I guess it depends on if you do it by enema or colonoscopy. Vets normally have a cat on staff for blood tranfusions that is healthy and regularly tested for everything under the sun. Which means a ready donor and less expense for you testing wise. I'd ask your vet and call around to see what's available in your area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cc0000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've heard of FMT helping people, so I'm sure it could help cats with IBD. My cat never has diarrhea, however, he has vomiting episodes only. So, I'm not sure if that would help him since he doesn't get diarrhea.

I will ask my vet about it, though. 

The vet prescribed more prednisolone for our cat for 5 days and then I have to call back again to discuss further treatment next week.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure either. It's been used for a multitude of gastrointestinal problems but with a cat having IBS without diarrhea is pretty uncommon. Have you looked into other possible disorders such as acid reflux, heartburn, or even problems associated with the valves of the stomach. If the Prednisone was helping there are other conditions that fall in line with it and also other possible medications. There's meds to stop vomiting, reduce acid in the stomach, and meds to speed up digestion. Steroids are a double edged sword and if your cat is otherwise healthy and at a good weight it might not hurt to try some other things geared towards just the upper digestive tract. In the end you might have to go back to it but I've found thinking zebra not horse to be quite helpful at times.

cc0000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, IBD really can't be confirmed without a biopsy. So, the vet can't say for sure that is what he has. He has had several tests to try and discover what is wrong with him. They did a full geriatric blood panel, ultrasound, pancreatitis test, and urinalysis. First they thought he had kidney issues, but, that checked out in the end. Then they did the pancreatitis test after the ultrasound showed mild stomach inflammation. They said the pancreatitis test was positive at first, but, it didn't really mean he had pancreatitis, it could be gastritis/IBD causing irritation to the pancreas. I had two vets who checked the ultrasound and they said there was no thickening of the pancreas like there would be with pancreatitis. So, since the issue was ongoing and it was inflaming the pancreas, it was probably IBD. A biopsy is the only thing to say for sure which is very expensive.

My cat (Brillo) also was on metronidazole and Pepcid AC and they made him worse. 

His symptoms are always loud stomach rumbling, like gas, and then he becomes lethargic, stops eating and projectile vomits. He stops eating until he finally vomits and gets egg smelling burps and gas when he has a flareup.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's a shame the metronidazole didn't work, although it has severe side effects in the long run as well. His symptoms and the tests you've ran sound more in line with an upper gastric problem. Gallbladder problems can show up on testing designed for pancreatitis as well. There very closely connected.

cc0000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you know of any other tests that can be done to diagnose upper gastric issues or gallbladder problems? The only other test I've heard the vet talk about is a biopsy.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They could test the bile itself to see what the makeup of it is. There's also a test were they use a dye that highlights the bile and then use an MRI to see how it progresses through the digestive tract. I'm sure there are other tests as well but I'm not familiar with them.

cc0000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, thanks. I thought about bringing in a sample of vomit/bile to test but wasn't sure if they did something like that. 

Also, earlier you said something about gallbladder problems possibly causing this issue. Do you know if the ultrasound would rule that out or not? Thanks.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Okay, thanks. I thought about bringing in a sample of vomit/bile to test but wasn't sure if they did something like that. 

Also, earlier you said something about gallbladder problems possibly causing this issue. Do you know if the ultrasound would rule that out or not? Thanks.
Yes, the ultrasound is a useful diagnostic tool that will demonstrate gall bladder problems.  I am a human doctor, not a vet, but in humans ultrasound will demonstrate gall bladder thickening (Cholecystitis) and is very effective for demonstrating gallstones.  I understand that cats have the same problems and that ultrasound will be just as useful.

Best wishes,

Geoffrey

cc0000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I thought the ultrasound would show that. My cat had one done and the vet said the only thing they found was mild stomach inflammation, nothing else. Yet, he gets horrible projectile vomiting.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Yes, I thought the ultrasound would show that. My cat had one done and the vet said the only thing they found was mild stomach inflammation, nothing else. Yet, he gets horrible projectile vomiting.
The projectile vomiting could only come from his stomach.  Presumably the cause is his mild stomach inflammation (gastritis) as advised by your vet.

With best wishes,

Geoffrey

jmdock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 12 year old cat was doing great after being put on Prednisolone. He has been slowly tapering down, but, after going from 1/2 a pill (2.5 mg) everyday to 1/2 every other day, he's started to act sickly again.

The first day off he was very tired, and, before his next dose, his stomach started gurgling again.

I called the vet and he said go back up to 1/2 a pill a day and then call back on Monday. But, Prednisolone is not recommended long-term.

What else can I do to help my IBD cat? He loves dry food which is awful for him, and only eats small amounts of wet food now before he gets sick of it.

With the IBD he has no diarrhea, but has awful projectile vomiting once a week if not under control and his stomach gurgles like crazy. He also will stop eating and drinking sometimes so has been to the vet a lot for this.

I was in the same boat with my cat, gave her Prednisolone and she was fine, but as we ramped down she would vomit, not eat and look awful. We decided on giving her a 1/4 tablet every day to keep the levels up. She is also eating some wet food that she seems to like that doesn't have any of the "gum" additives that I have read could cause inflammation. She is 14.5 and doing well other than a little arthritis.

Just sharing my experience and what worked for us.