Weaning at 7 weeks. Need help please!

baseballcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a litter of 4 born 6-6-21. While setting up a vet appointment it was recommended that I wean the kittens. One week ago (6 weeks old then) I took Momma to my friends house while I have the 4 here in order to wean them. I have 2 questions. First, Momma has gone into heat and my friend wants me to take her back. I will likely do this today, so that's one week apart. Is that enough time? Second, during this past week, 3 of the kittens are eating well and always have full bellies, but one girl is smaller and I never see her eat. WORRIED!!! This morning I locked her in the bathroom with food and KMR for an hour to keep her from competing for food with the others. I really could not see that she had eaten, although perhaps a small amount. I am feeding KMR and Fancy Feast, usually 3 times a day. Dry kitten food is always there and they are eating it too.

My vet visit is this Tuesday where I bring them all in and they begin vaccinations. I will discuss this for sure then. Meanwhile, any advice here?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Put mama back with her kittens and continue weaning.

Clearly the smallest kitten is not quite ready to wean. Will she lap kitten formula from a bowl? Also try feeding Gerber chicken or turkey meat baby from your finger, then show her more of it on a plate. If she still won’t eat she’ll need to nurse mom or be bottle fed.

Is there a reason you want them all weaned so quickly? Most kittens with a mom wean naturally by eight weeks or so by watching mom eat.

Six weeks is young to separate mom from her kittens. They should ideally stay with her for 12 weeks. She teaches them kitten manners and other important cat behavior.

Also, they need to weigh 2 pounds to begin vaccinations. Do they?

B baseballcat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baseballcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both! Yes, I realized it was too soon, too late. Mom returned last night and they all immediately began to nurse. She was in heat the week she spend at my friend's house, but not now. I have NO IDEA how this effects her milk productions. I'm guessing if they nurse, she will produce milk. The small kitten is doing well. Lapping the KVR seems popular, at least when Mom was gone. She is eating, just not as eagerly as her siblings. My first vet appointment is in one week. Again, thank you Kieka and Sarthur!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad mom and babies are reunited. Make sure the little one is still gaining weight.