We lost our 4 and half year old cat last week to a bladder rupture

Sergel02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last week was probably the worse week of my life so far.

We were hoping for a miracle, but sadly a miracle never happened. My family and I let go of cute baby Comet at home, around 1:30 in the afternoon on Friday, December 1st. He passed away while I was holding him in my arms. He wasn’t the first cat we put ti sleep, but it hurts just as bad. Maybe even worse since our first cat was 15, not less than 5.

I feel so heartbroken and devastated, and so numb. I was hoping and praying he would improve, because he’s the most affectionate and loving cat I met, because he’s too young to die yet, despite knowing reality is not that kind.

Back on Tuesday morning, what I thought might be a quick vet visit kept snowballing. A urinary blockage is what it was, and the doctors put the Catheter in, but sometimes at the hospital for monitoring it turned into a huge bladder rupture, and news kept getting worse. His bladder was repaired, yet horribly inflamed. His creatinine kept rising, from 2 to 8 to 12, so his kidneys were failing. His JP drain kept filling more when it was supposed to be draining less.

I did every test, treatment, and surgery I reasonably could afford, hoping he could be saved. The vets were even puzzled how quickly it developed. Every vet reassured me I did nothing wrong, yet I still wonder that. They said I brought him in as soon as possible, and he didn’t show any litter box changes until Tuesday morning. His body simply couldn’t heal, so my family and I made the decision Thursday night to take him home in the morning to do in-home euthanasia. He did have small health issues like lots of gas and a runny nose his whole life, but we were told it wasn’t concerning.

On Tuesday when we first went to his primary vet I promised Comet I’d take him home, and I’m happy I was able to keep that promise. Even with his IV and drain in place, even though he was in pain, he seemed so happy to be home and to be sitting on laps again, even if only for a couple hours. We went with Laps of Love and highly recommend if you can do in home euthanasia.

I still wonder about things I could have done differently. Maybe change his food, or used Feliway to calm him. My dad would ALWAYS yell at Comet for sitting in his lap (Comet was pretty incessant on sitting on laps even when you’d move him or weren’t feeling well. Looking back he likely liked the heat). Despite that he loved sitting on my dad more than anyone.

I know we made the right choice, and we do have 2 other cats that need our care, but it’s still so sad to know I won’t be able to hear Comet again, or see him play, or to hold him one more time.
IMG_7928.jpeg IMG_7946.jpeg IMG_7827.jpeg IMG_7856.jpeg
Yet I find solace in the fact that in his short few years, he loved us so much, and he was so loved, and he will continue to be loved.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry about what happened to Comet. But, at his young age, I really feel like genetics played a role and there actually may have been nothing you could have done to stop that. Regret and the 'what ifs' hit all of us regardless of the circumstances.

He sounds like you gave him a wonderful and happy life - and he was with you and being comforted when he passed. Despite the brevity of his life, it seems he really enjoyed it to the fullest (and probably loved driving your dad crazy). Sometimes that counts way more than longevity. Just as you are already aware :hugs::hearthrob::redheartpump:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
S Sergel02 I'm so sorry for your loss. Urinary blockages are very common in male cats and can lead to bladder ruptures. Cats are so good at hiding any sign that anything is wrong with them. Often by the time you notice they are sick it's already too late.

I've lost young cats that have seemed completely healthy and then suddenly became dangerously ill. I've also had a cat suddenly die from a suspected heart attack. He was such a big, healthy boy we never suspected he had any health problems at all. Sometimes these things just happen and there is nothing that can be done.

:hugs:

Comet had a great life with you, a life that was filled with love. I'm glad he was able to pass peacefully in the home he felt the most comfortable in.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so so sorry for your pain......I, too don't believe there was anything further to be done that wasn't done already. Please don't torture yourself with all those should haves and could haves that pop up at times like these, it brings nothing but heartache. Your precious boy would be the last one to want to bring you pain.
I am so glad he got to spend his time at home, I'm sure it brought him much-needed peace. To die at home, surrounded by your family's love is what we all wish for. He is at peace because he will always carry your love in his soul, just as you will always carry his. At times like these I always use this saying like a mantra, "do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened".
go forward now into the future and live it as you would want for him to go on if you were the first to go. He wants nothing but happiness for you and yours because that is love. Add more love and happiness to reside next to his, it will help it to grow and flourish in the sunshine of happiness. Try to concentrate on what he brought to your life, not dwell in the sadness. You'll find in time that the happy memories will replace the limited bad ones. you will cherish these memories and learn ways to elevate them above the bad.
i know how much this hurts, but to never have met him at all would have been a tragedy to your soul, he brought much to your life. Please accept my sincere condolences, my heart goes out to you. I will pray for you and yoru family, take care.......RIP precious Comet. You will always be remembered, you will always have secure places in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sergel02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry about what happened to Comet. But, at his young age, I really feel like genetics played a role and there actually may have been nothing you could have done to stop that. Regret and the 'what ifs' hit all of us regardless of the circumstances.

He sounds like you gave him a wonderful and happy life - and he was with you and being comforted when he passed. Despite the brevity of his life, it seems he really enjoyed it to the fullest (and probably loved driving your dad crazy). Sometimes that counts way more than longevity. Just as you are already aware :hugs::hearthrob::redheartpump:
S Sergel02 I'm so sorry for your loss. Urinary blockages are very common in male cats and can lead to bladder ruptures. Cats are so good at hiding any sign that anything is wrong with them. Often by the time you notice they are sick it's already too late.

I've lost young cats that have seemed completely healthy and then suddenly became dangerously ill. I've also had a cat suddenly die from a suspected heart attack. He was such a big, healthy boy we necver suspected he had any health problems at all. Sometimes these things just happen and there is nothing that can be done.

:hugs:

Comet had a great life with you, a life that was filled with love. I'm glad he was able to pass peacefully in the home he felt the most comfortable in.
I'm so so sorry for your pain......I, too don't believe there was anything further to be done that wasn't done already. Please don't torture yourself with all those should haves and could haves that pop up at times like these, it brings nothing but heartache. Your precious boy would be the last one to want to bring you pain.
I am so glad he got to spend his time at home, I'm sure it brought him much-needed peace. To die at home, surrounded by your family's love is what we all wish for. He is at peace because he will always carry your love in his soul, just as you will always carry his. At times like these I always use this saying like a mantra, "do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened".
go forward now into the future and live it as you would want for him to go on if you were the first to go. He wants nothing but happiness for you and yours because that is love. Add more love and happiness to reside next to his, it will help it to grow and flourish in the sunshine of happiness. Try to concentrate on what he brought to your life, not dwell in the sadness. You'll find in time that the happy memories will replace the limited bad ones. you will cherish these memories and learn ways to elevate them above the bad.
i know how much this hurts, but to never have met him at all would have been a tragedy to your soul, he brought much to your life. Please accept my sincere condolences, my heart goes out to you. I will pray for you and yoru family, take care.......RIP precious Comet. You will always be remembered, you will always have secure places in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!
Thank you all. Hearing it wasn’t my fault is something I needed to hear. I mean the vets said the same, but I was in such a fog during that week.

I got a nice gravestone for him and a photo book. Has helped with healing. I really want to get one of those stuffed animals that you can design to resemble your pet, just looking for a good one.

I did donate to our locate shelter in his honor, and am trying to find charities that help with cat research. Maybe one day we can find more tests and treatments for cats!

I miss Comet and always will, but I will keep going forward. I still have his brother and adoptive sister to care for. I like to think one day we will meet Comet again.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Comet, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

This is the Deepest Truth I know, that love never dies, it is translated and purified into Love, and continues on. And now, from his home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, Comet blesses you for your lifetime of love and care, for allowing him to live, breathe and have his being wrapped in your love. He sends his Love back to you now, to walk with you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

I KNOW you will see Comet again. Under some very strange circumstances, I was permitted a glimpse of That Place. and I can assure you that our pets are there. Until, in the fullness of time, you meet again, I shall ask my dad to make sure Comet gets lots of pats, because where ever the cats are in that place, while waiting for their own humans, my dad will be, as well.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, that's tragic - it is so hard to lose one young in sudden circumstances like that.
You didn't do anything wrong - it's normal to feel guilt as part of the grieving process when you have complete responsibility for another being's care - but that doesn't mean that you could have done anything different.
It will get a bit easier to bear as time passes, I don't think these losses ever truly leave us, we just adapt to and get used to them and they become part of who we are.

I am very sorry for your loss, Comet was a very beautiful cat who was loved and well cared for - and in that, he was one of the lucky ones, so many never have that. You gave him a good life, even though it was not as long as you might have wanted.