We have pigeons!!!!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the past week, I've noticed some pigeons getting cozy with my roof. Turns out they are starting to build a nest in the gutter. I swear I can't get just a couple of weeks of a calm and easygoing life...it just one thing after another! :gaah: We still have lots of snow and still have over a foot of accumulation on our roof...it's going to be difficult to get to the area and get rid of the nest before they start to lay. Then, I'm sure it'll be a battle to keep them away long enough for them to go and find a new home...

Any advice?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the past week, I've noticed some pigeons getting cozy with my roof. Turns out they are starting to build a nest in the gutter. I swear I can't get just a couple of weeks of a calm and easygoing life...it just one thing after another! :gaah: We still have lots of snow and still have over a foot of accumulation on our roof...it's going to be difficult to get to the area and get rid of the nest before they start to lay. Then, I'm sure it'll be a battle to keep them away long enough for them to go and find a new home...

Any advice?
I wish I did have good advice for you, Jem Jem . I had doves building a nest in a very inaccessible place on a tiny roof exposure over my back door. Apparently they got the idea on their own that it wasn't a safe place, and they did not complete the nest. Some eggs did fall out, though; I remember having to clean them up and feeling bad. Some doves (the same ones?) also seemed interested in nesting in a hanging plant pot on my front verandah, an equally in appropriate/unsafe place. They thought so, too, very quickly, and moved on. In our last house, the original owners actually put empty feed bags up in the rafters to discourage this, for the same reasons.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would find a handyman to climb up, take out the nest and put in a gutter guard. They are inexpensive, easy to install and let rain in while keeping pigeons and leaves/grass out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I would let them have their nest and family, but that's just me.
I would rather not have a roof leak though....They are blocking where the water needs to drain. And we've already had water problems from that particular area of the roof.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would rather not have a roof leak though....They are blocking where the water needs to drain. And we've already had water problems from that particular area of the roof.
Yeah, unfortunately, that's got to be the priority. But hopefully the birds will find another, better, safer place to build their nest.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use holographic bird tape and pinwheels to keep them out of areas here. I also have a big blow up snake. (They tried to nest over my front door on the porch.) That scared a few delivery people so we put a sign on the door. Fortunately barn swallows can’t read. :lol:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read that parent pigeons often make a new nest in the same spot as the last one…..:rolleyes: