We Have Babies!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Robin babies, that is! They built a nest in our PeeGee hydrangea bush right out in front of the house. Three blue eggs. One egg either fell out of the nest or was jostled by a cat; we don't know what happened but Rick found it on the ground. We've been keeping a diligent eye on things and mama has been staying in the nest. And this morning we saw one baby through the leaves. The other egg is still there, so maybe it will hatch today.

Mollipop has been beside herself. We keep the window open and she spends her time in the window, keeping a very close eye on Mama and chittering like crazy. And now that there's a wee one (and hopefully two fairly soon!), she's going to be a very busy girl watching the robin adventure. Last night Tabby was in the corner of the window, watching very intently at the nest.

I worry about them when it rains and we are to get t-storms today. Honestly, we'd put a tarp up over the bush if we were sure it wouldn't spook Mama. But we're really leery. As it is, as soon as we start working in the flower bed, Papa comes out and starts yelling at us. He hasn't dive-bombed us yet, so evidently he realizes we're not a thread. But we still make him uneasy.

Babies! :cloud9:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
How fun! :clap: There has been a lot of nest-building in my yard and I could hear babies this weekend, but I haven't seen them.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We get a lot of bluebird babies. It is hard to keep Snoop from chasing them. Once in a while he manages to catch a bird when he is in the yard. Most of the time it is a Mockingbird. One day he did get a bluebird. I grabbed him and the bird flew away. It took him two days to forget about it.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh how cool! One year we had stellar jays nesting in the bougainvillea right outside our door. It was so fun to watch as the babies hatched and grew.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww! We had a nest in a bush like that at my mother's house one year. They were so fun to watch! The cats loved it too!

We have lots of robins this year! Last week I was watching a young robin follow the parent robins around the yard. The parent would peck at the ground and feed the baby. The baby didn't have his feathers all the way in yet but it was at least half grown.