We caved

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
And used the electric blanket last night. Warmth! Heaven!

I put the electric blanket on the bed on Sunday when I changed the bed sheets. Well, on Sunday night, BooBoo realized the blanket was on the bed.....BUT it wasn't turned on. He was not amused. He kept shuffling around under the comforter and finally he came from under the comforter, looked at me and wailed. I didn't turn it on though. Monday night, Boo came back to bed. And meowed. And meowed. No heat.

Yesterday, when Rick came home from work, he fed the cats. While they were eating dinner, he turned the blanket on High on both sides. Til Boo was done eating and bathing, the bed was nice and warm. Boo went back to bed, shuffled under the comforter right on to the blanket. And that was all we saw of him for the evening. The boy was happy.

I crawled into bed last night at 9:00, trying to carefully move around The Lump Under the Covers (BooBoo). Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Warmth! For the first time all day, I was actually warm. Nice and toasty. And life was good, for both Boo and me. 

terianne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a king size bed and still barely enough room for me and my husband after our four girl kitties crawl into bed with us.  They love the warmth.  We have a big futon couch in the den upstairs that we let down into a bed for them.  We bought one of those warming pads made just for kitties where the temp stays the same all of the time.  We keep that plugged in 24/7 for them and they love it.  It's a really large one that pretty much covers the top of the bed.  It's great for those chilly winter nights for them.  We bought it through our Amazon acct.  They all fight for a spot to curl up on it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our heat has been on at night.  My husband is very particular about being comfortable in the house.  I don't argue because he spends most days sweating in the summer, bundled up in the winter, getting wet in the rain, etc.  We used to keep the house cooler in the winter than we do now; but the kids don't always sleep as well.  And if they don't sleep well I don't sleep well and that's never a good combo!  Maybe when DS is big enough to use blankets properly it won't be an issue.

I always have a big comforter on the couch and the girls curl up in or on top of that when it's chilly.  I love being snuggled under one with them and a good book!  Come on nap time! 

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have turned ours on every now & then but not full blast yet. It's Thursday and I live in Ohio and the first snow has showed up.We try not to turn the heat on yet but wait till we really need it. We can always bundle up in bed and dressed.

Last edited:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
No electric blanket here.. I'm scared of them!

My cats keeps me warm, especially when Cassie sleeps under the covers and on my feet!

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pam, if you come down to Florida to visit, you won't need an electric blanket!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! I had electric blankets when I was a kid, back in the 70's-80's.........................These days Maia is my heating pad
. Is your electric blanket like the old school wires running through it, you plug it in and it has a H M L push button control? What is today's heating blanket like? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, pretty much. It has the wires running through the blanket. Queen size, with dual dials, which works out well. I keep my side on high the entire night whereas Rick will turn his side down to about 4 or so (dials go from Low to 20). By morning the cats are all on my side of the bed, where all the heat is. 
 It stays on for about 10 hours, then shuts off automatically. But I always unplug it as soon as I get out of bed....I'm an fanatic about keeping it unplugged when we're not home. OTOH, when I am home all day, the blanket is on all day. As soon as it shuts off and starts to cool down, BooBoo lets me no about it in no uncertain terms. The loud caterwauling begins almost immediately and I'll run back quickly and turn it back on. 

We keep the house on the coolish side during the winter and I don't think the older cats could make it through without the warmth of the blanket.

It's horribly cold at work, too, and the cold tends to seep and settle in my bones. By the end of the work day, I'm pretty much frozen. In the winter, I'll go to bed early, crawl under the warm blanket, and settle down with a book and the cats.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't blame you for caving! It got cold quick, didn't it? I'm looking out right now at frost on my garage roof.

We don't have an electric blanket. We tend to keep the house cooler, but I had to cave yesterday and let the heat run for a bit.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We finally caved too and turned on the heat last night. Hubby hasn't lit the gas logs yet at the fireplace. We need to call the gas company to fill up first.:nod:

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't has gas everything is electric which I like. We can always cuddle up with a blanket and some hot chocolate .

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a waterbed until fall of 2010.  When I went to a conventional bed, I think I lasted 3 or 4 days before I went and bought an electric blanket! I had been so used to the warmth from the waterbed, that I was frozen to the bone in an unheated conventional bed.

I just put my new electric blanket on my bed today, after not having an electric blanket for 21 months!  I couldn't wait to get into a nice warm bed, so I had an afternoon nap with the blanket on low. OMG!  Heaven.  I had all 3 cats piled into bed with me, and that is unusual. Typically they will all visit for cuddles, and sometimes Abby will stay and sleep, then leave in the night and then return in the morning.  But not this afternoon.  All 3 settled down for a nap and Abby was still there when I woke up.

None of my cats like to be under the blankets completely covered though.  Abby and Spencer like to be covered, but only up to their neck.  Katie doesn't like to be covered at all.