Was my cat someones pet?

kef33890

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wonder about my cat, because she was spayed already when the shelter found her. She is only one year old! So I wonder if she was someone's pet and she wandered too far from home and got scooped up by animal control? She's mine now, not that I'd let her go if she was someone's lol (I'm really attached to her)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you got her from a shelter, she is well and truly yours. I have rescued several cats over the year who were, to all appearances, strays or even friendly ferals and they had all been previously spayed or neutered. Only one had an ear tip, but oddly enough, she was not very feral at all. It all remained a mystery but certainly enough cats are abandoned or lost that it is possible to come across one who has been previously fixed.

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some people get cats on a whim and can't care for them so they let them go or they are not responsible enough with them and let the cats free roam. Sometimes cats get loose and don't find their way back home too.

A cat I took in several years ago, he was an older male that was fixed. Between 10 and 12 years old. He showed up one day looking for food. Since he had appeared to be losing weight with his visits, I assume either he had an older owner that passed away, his family moved, or he was just forgotten. He was front declawed and I was not about to leave him outdoors when winter came. So I took him in.

Come to find out he had severe separation anxiety and because of that, would pee on different things. If I had to guess, someone booted him out because of that. It didn't bother me and I worked around his issues to the point where he seldom did it. He was such a sweetheart. I did feel bad for a time that I may have taken in someone else's cat but being older and declawed, he should have never been let outside in the first place. Poor guy was defenseless.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kef33890

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys. Her ear hasn't been clipped so I was thinking she was someone's pet at one time, especially because she was spayed. I do feel bad if I have some kids pet, but tough cookies they should of kept better track of her!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So I wonder if she was someone's pet and she wandered too far from home and got scooped up by animal control?
As fionasmom mentioned, sometimes the story isn't straightfoward, but did she have a microchip? The shelter would have checked and if so they would have attempted to contact the person listed.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Very true, they would have instantly checked for a microchip at the shelter. A lot of people get a cat, get it spayed or neutered, lose interest and figure that a cat can live by hunting, and never look back. Your cat is lucky to have found a good home with you.

catdad61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our previous cat, Tiger, my soulbuddy who crossed the Rainbow Bridge last Oct, was neutered and declawed when my wife adopted him from the shelter. They didn't do any of the procedures or know exactly how old he was. He was a very skittish cat when she brought him home. For about three months the only way you knew we had a cat was the food and water would disappear and the litter box would fill up. He eventually chose me as his person and pretty much ignored everyone else, much to my wife's dismay. He wormed his way into my heart like no other pet I ever owned.