Wants to go out after spay

dshakw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat spayed during c section a few days ago. She lost all her litter, and they removed them in the surgery. She is vocal and wants me to open the door. She never wanted to go out unless she's in heat. There are two doors, building door and a door to garden. When she was in heat, she wanted/tried to escape to go out using both. When she was at last week of pregnancy, she wanted to go out from building door. I didn't allow her because it was dangerous there, there are so many cats outside and inside the building. Pregnancy didn't end up well, and she is spayed and still wants to go out using building door. She calls me especially at night time to open the door. Is this normal she also had a few other places that she wanted to take me during pregnancy and took me there a few times too. But mainly she just wants to go out sometimes. Is she aware she lost kittens or were she aware kittens were coming? Or they were not living. I don't know. she always wanted to hide in a corner or under a blanket and was uninterested in all the places or boxes I created for her. Didnt have contractions too( or i missed even i checked her multiple times at nights too) Her voice is shattering sometimes and it makes me extra sad 😔 Anyone has a similar experience?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Doubtful she has any memory of even being pregnant. Cats don't have emotions like humans do - they live in the moment for the most part.
Sounds like she's used to be letting outside and it's become a habit, so she's asking.
Obviously you must keep her indoors until she is at minimum fully healed from her spay surgery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dshakw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You telling me she might not have memory of being pregnant relieved me for a minute. I hope it is like that, I have some regrets and guilt about her pregnancy and the whole process. Saw a few signs which is counted as normal most of the time but in our case it wasn't. I assumed it was normal to not stress her out with a vet visit. Today I saw some bald patches on her neck which vet said might be depression and anxiety of whole thing. 😔
Maybe she's stressed out just because of going there for antibiotic shots so who knows.

She is not used to go out, the only times she wanted to go out was when she was in heat and last days of her pregnancy. So I will be observing.
Thank you!

Doubtful she has any memory of even being pregnant. Cats don't have emotions like humans do - they live in the moment for the most part.
Sounds like she's used to be letting outside and it's become a habit, so she's asking.
Obviously you must keep her indoors until she is at minimum fully healed from her spay surgery.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You telling me she might not have memory of being pregnant relieved me for a minute. I hope it is like that, I have some regrets and guilt about her pregnancy and the whole process. Saw a few signs which is counted as normal most of the time but in our case it wasn't. I assumed it was normal to not stress her out with a vet visit. Today I saw some bald patches on her neck which vet said might be depression and anxiety of whole thing. 😔
Maybe she's stressed out just because of going there for antibiotic shots so who knows.

She is not used to go out, the only times she wanted to go out was when she was in heat and last days of her pregnancy. So I will be observing.
Thank you!
Somehow she got out because she got pregnant LOL
She's probably just stressed from everything she's been though recently, including hormone changes. Just keep an eye on her and if you notice anything really out of the ordinary make a vet appointment to discuss.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! It can take a while for all of the hormones to leave her body, so that may explain why she wants to go outside now as she did when she was in heat. I'd expect that to stop once the hormones are completely gone.

Are the bald patches associated with any IVs/blood drawshots they may have used with for her surgery? That area could be a bit itchy and she has scratched at it. Also, some vets shave the area when they administer any of the above treatments, so maybe that is also contributing to her looking like she has bald patches?

• Purraise
Reactions: RTR

dshakw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
those bald patches are at her neck and I don't know if they made a shot there or not. She is getting two shots of medicine currently I think both are antibiotics but to they inject it to her back. I asked if it could be a side effect they said no and they looked at the patches with a device and told it looks like fungi but they didn't speak certain because they couldn't look into well, she was very stressed and hissing a lot, I didn't want to stress her further. They were going to give a shot for fungi but then they decided not to and gave antiseptic ointment instead and told me to observe. They insisted that she should wear a cone but I am like 100 percent sure she will injure herself with it so I am near her. Whenever she wants to scratch, I make her stop combing it lightly, etc.

20240412_181203.jpg

Hi and welcome to TCS! It can take a while for all of the hormones to leave her body, so that may explain why she wants to go outside now as she did when she was in heat. I'd expect that to stop once the hormones are completely gone.

Are the bald patches associated with any IVs/blood drawshots they may have used with for her surgery? That area could be a bit itchy and she has scratched at it. Also, some vets shave the area when they administer any of the above treatments, so maybe that is also contributing to her looking like she has bald patches?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't tell from the pic whether that is on the back or the front of her neck. A lot of vets draw blood from the jugular and often shave a spot beforehand. I was just trying to figure out of it was something they did to cause the fungus. If she didn't have it before surgery, then it seemed logical to suppose it is somehow connected. I'd treat with what they gave you and observe it as they suggested. If it doesn't start improving, you will have to call them back and let them know.

You could consider using chamomile tea in between ointment applications. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then apply some to that area with a soft cloth or cotton balls. Chamomile tea is a soothing and healing agent, as well as having anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for your cat to ingest if that should happen. Because it helps soothe, it should reduce any itchiness that she may have.

dshakw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for those tips means a lot!

The patches appeared among the neck and I meant I don't know if they gave a shot to her neck for the surgery or not I didn't ask. When she went for the antibiotics shot (which they give her from back) I mentioned the patches and they said she might fave fungus because of those bad things happened to her, stress etc.

I also just found a flea. Might be the cause also I don't know.

Thanks again I will be observing closely.

I can't tell from the pic whether that is on the back or the front of her neck. A lot of vets draw blood from the jugular and often shave a spot beforehand. I was just trying to figure out of it was something they did to cause the fungus. If she didn't have it before surgery, then it seemed logical to suppose it is somehow connected. I'd treat with what they gave you and observe it as they suggested. If it doesn't start improving, you will have to call them back and let them know.

You could consider using chamomile tea in between ointment applications. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then apply some to that area with a soft cloth or cotton balls. Chamomile tea is a soothing and healing agent, as well as having anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for your cat to ingest if that should happen. Because it helps soothe, it should reduce any itchiness that she may have.

dshakw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She jumps to the door handle as she would do when she was in heat. She was a pro at this, could easily jump and open the door if forgotten unlocked. She can't do the jumping well now she just hangs a bit but I worry she will hurt her tummy whilst trying. She is loud too. Another sleepless night for me 🙄

dshakw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is literally obsessed with going out this night. I thought this behavior would wear off, instead, it is more intense. I put a chair and pillows in front of the door so she won't jump and hurt herself but she still kept trying and meowing for hours. She also got into the cage I took her to the vet and was loud there too. My mind thinks she looking or asking for her kittens:( I hope this isn't the case and am just being silly.
For the record, I let her a few times yesterday accompanying her to see what is she looking for and she was just wandering around. She was like this only in heat and in a very similar behavior at the last days of pregnancy. 😕

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

RTR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feebys owner is correct! her hormones take weeks to leave her body! Patience!