Walking The Cat

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking of getting a leash and taking my Maine Coon Oliver for walks. Firstly, what type of leash would be best and secondly, what's the best way to get him started? He's only seen the outside world a couple of times, for a few seconds, when he's darted out between my legs after I've opened the door for some reason. That suggests he wants to explore so hopefully he will take to a leash and benefit from some extra fun. Thanks.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I don’t walk Charlie, so I don’t really have much advice regarding leashes and the like. I think that taking Oliver for walks sounds like a great idea! Maine Coons are such an intelligent breed, they usually adjust fairly quickly to the leash and harness. :)

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I started Mishka with the Come with me kitty harness. The key is to go slow and start indoors just getting him used to the harness. Once he's okay with that, you can attach the leash and see if he wants to go explore outside. You can also try the Kitty Harness - it's much more secure. The downside is that it has a long neck piece that Mishka found uncomfortable. Of course, with Oliver's size, he may not have any trouble with that. ;)

I use the 6 foot bungee leash that came with the Come with me kitty harness. It's good for when she sees a bird and shoots off like a rocket after it. The bungee keeps her from coming to a sudden halt.

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Homer and I experimented with this. He was most comfortable with a Velcro harness when inside and that is what I used to get him used to wearing something. But when a leash was attached he got out of it so very easily. So, we went to the H style collar for security with a 5 foot leash. Wearing the velcro one inside did help get him used to having a harness on. The leash was too short though, he wanted to leap around and it would always pull him up short. So I got a retractable leash. Things were going well. Then he met a bee, got stung on his mouth, and hasn't even been interested in going outside since.