Waiting for the vet

Tylyn3x

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For the last week I noticed my cat Omen (tortoiseshell) being extra sleepy. I didn't think much of it until I noticed she wasn't coming when she heard her food. I decided to check her out, and noticed she has an even bigger black mark on the front of her lip next to a smaller one she's had since she was a kitten. Looking closer at her mouth I saw a dark, maybe dried blood towards the corner of her mouth. I tried to open her mouth, but she wasn't having it so I had to take a quick video, and slow mo it to take screen shots. It looks like a dark sludge in between her lip and gum. I dont know if it's hard or soft. She looks to be losing weight to me. She's always been a petite cat, but I could tell when I was holding her and by the way her back legs looked when I put her down. Omen is around 3 years old. I've had her since she was able to leave her litter. She doesn't seem to have any issues with acne. Any suggestions?
I also have another cat named Freddy. He was a stray that we took in about 6 months ago. When he went to get neutered they said he was around 1 year old. A few weeks ago we noticed his paw looked swollen. Thought maybe it could be a bee sting because we've had a couple come in the house with the kids going in and out. We put an ice pack on it, and within a week or so his paw seemed to be back to normal. But, then his bottom lip started to swell, and is now drooping a bit. We thought it could also be a bee sting. Until, his paw started to get swollen again. The last photo of Freddy is as I'm typing this. Paw seems almost back to normal again. I have found fleas on the cats so I started flea treatment with pyrantel pamoate. Has anyone experienced what Freddy (orange) seems to be experiencing? Could it be an allergic reaction to fleas?

Attachments

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Freddy looks like he had a bee sting on his paw and mouth, but I could be wrong. I am not sure what's going on with omen but it is a good thing that the vet is coming to see you

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pyrantel Pamoate is for worms and intestinal parasites, not fleas. There may be a connection between the lethargy and that. It is also an 'off label' wormer. I would ask the vet what he recommends. The black in the mouth may be dried blood from teeth problems or a wound, definitely have the vet check that out. the swollen paw and mouth could very likely be a bee/wasp/spider bite, have the vet check that too. I would say it is time for a check-up for both.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tylyn3x

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pyrantel Pamoate is for worms and intestinal parasites, not fleas. There may be a connection between the lethargy and that. It is also an 'off label' wormer. I would ask the vet what he recommends. The black in the mouth may be dried blood from teeth problems or a wound, definitely have the vet check that out. the swollen paw and mouth could very likely be a bee/wasp/spider bite, have the vet check that too. I would say it is time for a check-up for both.
Because fleas can cause worms it was recommended to treat for them. Which was a good thing because Freddy ended up having worms. Both cats are indoor cats. They both are seeing the vet this Wednesday. Omen has started to drool, and looks to be having a hard time swallowing. She seems very week. She doesn't seem to be eating although I did see her try last night. I woke up to an empty water dish so I know she drank. I moved her dishes to where she is hiding away. Someone mentioned Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex with how Freddy is looking.

Tylyn3x

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: Freddys paws looked normal again, but they were actually the same swollen size. I noticed a smell, and realized he has to have an infection somewhere even if I'm not seeing anything. I finally got a good look at his pads, and they are black in a couple places on both paws. I'm almost certain the feline eosinophilic granuloma complex that was mentioned to me is what this could be, and understand that there's usually an allergic reaction as an underlying condition. Nothing as changed with this cat since we brought him in except for finding fleas. Its possible he could be allergic to fleas. My Australian Shepherd is allergic to flea bites. I tried to find out if this complex could be contagious because what Omen is experiencing with her mouth can go along with one of the 3 types of complexes. The only thing I can find about it being contagious is through saliva which is a big possibility because my cats share a food and water dish up until they got sick. They don't use porous dishes. Omen has started to drool, and seems to have a hard time swallowing. I have not seen either cat use the litter box, and neither are eating or drinking very much at all. Has anyone had any experience with feline eosinophilic granuloma complex? Both cats see the vet tomorrow at noon. This is a new vet for me because they were the ones who could see my cats the earliest. My normal vet does not like when "suggestions" are made about what you think it may be when they've mentioned everything else except what other people's vets had diagnosed with very similar situations.

Attachments

Tylyn3x

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have no experience with that, but want you to know I'll say a prayer for your little ones to get well soon....
Thank you! If it is what it seems to be it is very treatable.