Vomiting / straining after vaccines?

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Simon had both his rabies and the feline distemper vaccine today, and while he didn’t have any issue the first time, he had a strong reaction this time. He was fine for the first 20 minutes or so, but then had some diarrhea, vomited a bunch of times, and just keeps going back and forth to the liter box trying to go to no avail.

the vet had my Mom bring him back in for a shot of anti-inflammatory (and tbh probably anti nausea) meds, and said that in the future, we would just space them out better.

I guess I’m just wondering if anyone else had this happen, and if so, how long it lasted. I hate seeing him so sick :(

Edit: The vet apparently gave him Diphenhydramine and Dexium (I got my flu shot today and am sore, so I stayed home and Mom took him in). He said that Simon's heart rate was up just the slightest bit, which I'm chalking up to the stress of the last hour or so. He's meowing more normally now, so hopefully the meds take the edge off until the vaccine reaction settles down.

Last edited:

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If he's an indoor only cat I'd get the 3yr rabies vaccine next time, but yes space them out and have the vet give a diphenhydramine injection before any vaccines.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he's an indoor only cat I'd get the 3yr rabies vaccine next time, but yes space them out and have the vet give a diphenhydramine injection before any vaccines.
Our vet only does the 1-year vaccine, which is fine as it allows us to have a one year checkup on his general health rather than convincing ourselves we can just wait for three years LMAO

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Many vets only offer the 1 year to make sure people come in once a year. They'll sometimes also stock the 3yr vx, but not openly offer it. You can still get a check up when he gets his upper respiratory vaccine, lol.